Restore factory WAP11 Radio settings

I was messing around with the radio registers on my WAP11 and lost my screen shots of their initial values. Is there a way to restore the default factory settings? I tried a hard reset of the device, but it did not restore the factory radio settings.

Both devices had different values, and unfortunately both screen shots are gone :(

Reply to
<art
Loading thread data ...

Yes. The password and all settings did return to their default values. The radio settings however did not. I have attempt a reset both via the web interface and by holding the reset button in for 20-30 seconds... neither resets the radio settings, however all other settings go back.

I'm start>

Reply to
<art

I have a 2.6 with Linksys firmware 1.07. The radio registers are not availble via the web browser, so I'm not quite sure why clearing the cache would make any difference. You can only adjust the radio registers via the SNMP tool, provided you've tweaked your INI file appropriately.

From recollecti>

Reply to
<art

After performing the hard reset, did your AP default back to the factory

password?

If the login password to your AP hasn't been changed, what did you do

when performing the hard reset?

Reply to
Esquire

Try harder. You have to hold the button down for about 20-30 seconds (or longer) to get it to reset to defaults.

There's also a page in the web based setup somewhere (firmware page?) that has a reset to defaults button.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Did you restart your browser and clear the cache? You might be reading that page from your browser cache instead of from the router.

Which model WAP11 do you have? There's the original piece of junk,

1.1, 2.2, 2.6, and 2.8. The number is on the serial number sticker. I have a 1.1 somewhere, and can sneak into a customers 2.2 version to dump the settings. Also, you might wanna disclose the firmware version.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Duh. I forgot that this abomination is configured using USB and SNMP. No built in web browser. Yech.

I don't have a v2.6 router handy. Here are screen dumps of all the various USB and SNMP pages with a WAP11v1.1 set to defaults. Methinks

2.6 is similar.
formatting link
I don't see any radio "registers" to tweak in the v1.1 setup other than the usual cts/rts and fragmentation thresholds, which are essentially disabled.

Let me know when you've grabbed it all so I can clean it off my web pile. I'm almost otto space.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well, actually I am familiar with hacking the WAP11, but not the later boxes. I was playing with SNMP based tweaks on WAP11v1 long before it became popular. However, since it involved inside information, I kept my mouth shut. Basically, the power amp goes non-linear and sprays crap everywhere:

formatting link

Something about Humpty Dumpty and all the kings horses and all the kings men, couldn't put Humpty together again.

I assume you're using the Atmel SNMP manager (Atmel_SNMP_manager_v1.743.exe). Which three registers? I fired it up on my WAP11v1.1. It has a "reset to defaults" feature that might be of more use. I'm not going to try it on my unit. Oh swell, no registers listed in the SNMP Manager.

So, I switched to GetIF 2.3.1 using the AT76C510.mib that was included in the Atmel SNMP Managerie. I get nothing back with a community name of "public". (Ever have one of those days when NOTHING works?) So, what you you using for a MIB brower and what OID's correspond to the 3 registers in question?

I know one is the frequency adjustment. Another is the max power limit. I gotta dig to get the other. There's also a bunch for timing tweaks. I'll see what I can leak, but it's all for the original 1.0 version, not 2.6.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Heh... my guess is that you've never performed or played around with the WAP11 power hack (over-rated if anything). Anyways, the v2.6 units do have a web interface you can use -- however they also accept SNMP commands, and using the right tools and documentation

formatting link
you can tweak the radio settings.

The part that really sucks is that there appears to be no way to restore these settings back to their factory default values (or atleast none that I've found). The hack in itself as I mentioned is over-rated. At most, it gets you 3-5dbs of extra signal strength, and from what I have read on it via other sites, produces a dirty signal. I more or less messed around with it, but now that I'm done I'd like to go back to the default values.

The interesting thing here is that it appears that each WAP11 unit comes with differing values for the three channel registers. Somehow Linksys or Amtel or whoever determines what the optimum radio configuration values are for each unit are and initially sets them. What scheme they use to determine this is unknown to me, as are my original values :(

- Art

Reply to
<art

I'm having a bad day. I downloaded and installed the latest NET-SNMP for Windoze. It failed to run until I read the release notes and disarmed Microsloth SNMP (in the Management Console). Net-SNMP snmpwalk works with my other SNMP managed devices, but my WAP11v1.1 doesn't respond. That means the top of the ASN.1 tree isn't the starting point and that the MIB really starts somewhere furthur down, such as in the private OID section. Swell. Time to do some sniffing with Ethereal.

Argh...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

yeah -- no kidding. I thought I had my butt covered when I took screen shots of the different settings. Being the super intelligent person I was, I adjusted all of the registers for all of the channels (mistake #1); I wasn't smart enough to save them some place other than my TEMP folder, which I purged a few days later forgetting those pictures were there (mistake #2). After a couple of days of experimentation I noticed that the Linksys WAPs (I have two of them, one is setup as a repeater) were dropping a lot of recieve packets. After reading the various articles on the web (like the one you mention) I decided to backoff my changes but low and behold my screen shots were gone!

I'm using the SNMP manager listed here:

formatting link
This SNMP manager has a MIB which is compatible with the ver. 2.6 Linksys. Additionally, to access the 'Radio' menu, you'll need to edit your '%WinDir%\\SNMPmanager.ini' file and change the 'AppMode=2' 'AppView=2' settings.

When I examined the CR17, CR20 and CR21 settings on both WAP11s they were different on each device. Below is a good screenshot of what you should see:

formatting link
Note that the registers are labeled differently than on the 1.1 WAPs.

Reply to
<art

Well, that doesn't do me much good as I have a v1.1 unit and no v2.2 or v2.6 box available. The SNMP utilities look similar, but not exactly the same. The SNMPV1743.exe version doesn't show anything for "Radio" across the top menu, as the GIF file instructions indicate. I can't see the registers in V1.1. Bummer.

Well, the MIB is nice, but it won't help much when every single SNMP utility I've tried will not access individual OID's or do any MIB walking. There's something "odd" about the V1.1 SNMP. A project for another day as this isn't going to help you much.

No such file in the C:\\Program Files\\Atmel\\AP Configuration\\ directory:

08/02/2001 05:11p 30,348 AT76C510.mib 06/29/2001 04:42p 45,414 CompanyLogo.bmp 06/29/2001 04:42p 343 SNMPhelp.CNT 06/29/2001 04:42p 781,891 SNMPhelp.hlp 08/02/2001 05:11p 303,104 SNMPmanager.exe

I guess the Atmel version and the Linksys SNMP Manager versions are different. Bummer.

Yep. However, I don't think you're totally lost. The values for CR17, CR20, and CR21 are just the power levels for each channel. As near as I can guess(tm), they are:

C17 AGC Timer Count. This seems to be the automatic gain control attack time. C20 AGC Lock Window. This appears to be the automatic gain control hold time. C21 AGC Threshold. This is the power level, or rather at what point on the AGC curve starts the power leveling.

Methinks you can set C17 and C20 to whatever values you can extract from another WAP11 v2.6 access point. The values are probably (that's another guess) the same for all channels.

C21 is probably all over the place. It's trying to produce identical power output on all channels across the entire 83.5Mhz of the 2.4GHz band. The filters involved are anything but flat across the band. Therefore, you will need more power at the band edges, and less in mid-band. You can probably pick a single value and use it for all channels until you can determine a better set of values. See:

formatting link
some starting values. If you happen to have a spectrum analyzer or power meter, you could probably tweak the values for constant power output.

My wild guesses as to the other values are: CR1 IO Polarity. Probably the polarity of the AGC detector circuit to allow for external detectors such as found in external poletop power amplifiers. CR2 ICover Code. CR3 QCover Code. I and Q are the phases of a quadrature modulator or demodulator. My guess(tm) is that these are tweaks to get the signals exactly 90 degrees phase difference. Methinks the 00 would be the 0 degrees phase, while 40 probably represents a 90 degree delay. I'm not sure of the significance of the 40 but I'm fairly sure that 40 and 00 are the correct values. CR28 AGC Low Sat Atten. CR29 AGC Min Sig Atten. Methinks these two have something to do with the receiver AGC (automagic gain control). 00 would be the minimum rx AGC attenuation possibly with no rx signal applied. Sat Atten might mean saturated attenuation or the maximum attenuation on a strong signal. 4F is probably the largest value possible. Try something slightly smaller.

Lots of guesswork here and probably some of it is wrong. However, methinks it's a good start. The right idea would be to see if you can either get someone in this newsgroup to run the utility on their WAP11 V2.6 or borrow one if available and do it thyself. Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.