Reseting a Netgear DG814

Hey everyone. I've recently started using this router and alothugh it offers on wireless access, it seems to be a very solid router.

However, I am having an occasional problem whereby every 2-3 weeks the router will stop providing internet access to everyone who is connected. The obvious solution si to just reset the router, however I can't find any mention of reseting the router from the web inferface at

192.168.0.1. Since this often happens at around 1am when when my housemate, who has the router in the room, has gone to bed, he's naturally getting a bit pissed off with me waking him up every other week and asking him to reset it.

Every other router I have ever used has the ability ot reset the router from the web interface, so it seems bizarre that netgear do not provide one for this router. I've already tried upgrading the Firmware, but it appears the router already had to most up-to-date firmware already isntalled, so that didn't help.

Can anybody help?

Kind Regards,

Matt

Reply to
Matt
Loading thread data ...

On 16 Nov 2006 03:44:19 -0800, "Matt" wrote in :

Options:

1. Reduce the number of peer-to-peer filesharing connections, which are probably causing the problem.

1. Replace it with something better (e.g., Buffalo).

2. Add a X-10 power switch that you can trigger remotely.

1. Put it on a power timer that turns it on and off once a day.

Reply to
John Navas

I've had aquick look on the obvious places such as Dabs for one of these but I couldn't find one. Where would I get one from?

I also quite like this idea, but wouldn't it be bad for the router ot be turned on and off every single day?

Kind Regards,

Matt

Reply to
Matt

On 17 Nov 2006 02:23:20 -0800, "Matt" wrote in :

Not at all. I do this routinely with balky hardware that will eventually lock up if left running 24x7.

Reply to
John Navas

"Matt" hath wroth:

It works quite well. Over the years, I've had some equipment that required regular reboots in order to remain usable. My previous BEFW11S4v4 is one example. Telecom boxes located on remote mountain tops are another, mostly due to lightning hits. However, I would not use a power cycle with a device that has a hard disk or uses an operating system that requires a graceful shutdown. I've also had minor problems power cycling data loggers and SCADA systems. The problems are not that the devices will fail or do anything catastrophic. It's that the log files will get corrupted and contain some garbage due to the sudden power off.

Be sure to use a battery operated electronic times and not a mechanical motorized timer as extended power outages will cause the timing cycle to move.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.