reset access point belkin

Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View
Hi all,
I have got a Belkin F57130 access point. I did a reset to restore
factory settings, but after I did it I can't access anymore to the
web-based settings interface.

Notice that:
- there are two reset modes, one to simply restart, the other one to
restore factory settings, the latter is the one I used;
- I know that the default access point IP is 192.168.2.254, so I
switched my pc ethernet interface to the same subnet to access the AP,
but without success;

the strange fact is that the other settings are still the one modified
by me, even after the hard reset. At the moment, I'm using this wireless
link with the AP, the essid is the one i set before reset: only the AP's
ip isn't the same, nor the factory default one. My question is: is it
possibile that I reset only the IP and not the other settings ?

How can I access settings web-based interface now ?
Are there other ways to reset it more completely ?

thanks in advance,

-- Lorenzo


Re: reset access point belkin
Is your router's IP address in the same subnet as the access point?  Try
changing the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 if it is currently 255.255.255.0.
That way, if the router is at 192.168.1.x and the access point is at
192.168.2.254 and your computer is at 192.168.2.y (or 192.168.1.y) the
access point's IP address should still be considered to be part of the LAN.

-Yves

> Hi all,
> I have got a Belkin F57130 access point. I did a reset to restore factory
> settings, but after I did it I can't access anymore to the web-based
> settings interface.
>
> Notice that:
> - there are two reset modes, one to simply restart, the other one to
> restore factory settings, the latter is the one I used;
> - I know that the default access point IP is 192.168.2.254, so I switched
> my pc ethernet interface to the same subnet to access the AP, but without
> success;
>
> the strange fact is that the other settings are still the one modified by
> me, even after the hard reset. At the moment, I'm using this wireless link
> with the AP, the essid is the one i set before reset: only the AP's ip
> isn't the same, nor the factory default one. My question is: is it
> possibile that I reset only the IP and not the other settings ?
>
> How can I access settings web-based interface now ?
> Are there other ways to reset it more completely ?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> -- Lorenzo




Re: reset access point belkin
Yves Konigshofer wrote:
> Is your router's IP address in the same subnet as the access point?

yes, it is.. I said that even in my first post :)

>>- I know that the default access point IP is 192.168.2.254, so I switched
>>my pc ethernet interface to the same subnet to access the AP, but without
>>success;

have you got any other idea ? Thanks for your reply.

-- Lorenzo


Re: reset access point belkin
Well, you said that you put your computer into the same subnet; you did not
say anything about the router.  If your router/gateway, computer and access
point are all in the same subnet, they should be able to see each other.

As for the reset, perhaps try again.  If you reset the access point to its
factory defaults, everything should change to those.  I think that Linksys
has a program for locating its access points on networks, I'm not sure about
Belkin.  You can try connecting to your access point wirelessly and running
"arp -a" but I'm not sure if its hardware address will resolve to an IP
address.

-Yves

> Yves Konigshofer wrote:
>> Is your router's IP address in the same subnet as the access point?
>
> yes, it is.. I said that even in my first post :)
>
>>>- I know that the default access point IP is 192.168.2.254, so I switched
>>>my pc ethernet interface to the same subnet to access the AP, but without
>>>success;
>
> have you got any other idea ? Thanks for your reply.
>
> -- Lorenzo




Re: reset access point belkin
Yves Konigshofer wrote:
> Well, you said that you put your computer into the same subnet; you did not
> say anything about the router.  If your router/gateway, computer and access
> point are all in the same subnet, they should be able to see each other.
>
Sure, my router, my computer and my access point are all into the same
subnet. I also tried to connect directly with a cross cable the AP and
the pc, then put the ethernet PC's interface on the same of AP's default
(192.168.2.x), but I can't access it.

> As for the reset, perhaps try again. If you reset the access point to its
> factory defaults, everything should change to those.

I thought that too. In fact, isn't it weird that has been "reset" only
the ip, but not the essid ?

> I think that Linksys
> has a program for locating its access points on networks, I'm not sure about
> Belkin.  You can try connecting to your access point wirelessly and running
> "arp -a" but I'm not sure if its hardware address will resolve to an IP
> address.

nope, it resolves only the address of another pc connected to the lan.

> -Yves

Thank you again,

-- Lorenzo


Re: reset access point belkin
Yves Konigshofer wrote:
[CUT]
> Belkin.  You can try connecting to your access point wirelessly and running
> "arp -a" but I'm not sure if its hardware address will resolve to an IP
> address.
>

UPDATE: arp -a shows me those info:

how can I use them ? a ping to those 2 ips doesn't give any reply.
Neither any kind of http connection, of course.

root@nelson:# arp -a
? (192.168.2.1) at <incomplete> on eth1
? (192.168.2.254) at <incomplete> on eth1

it seems there is something wrong..

> -Yves

Thanks,

-- Lorenzo


Re: reset access point belkin
It looks like your access point is at the proper IP address.

What is your computer's IP address, subnet and gateway set to?  You subnet
should be 255.255.255.0 if your IP address starts with 192.168.2.  Your
gateway should be set to 192.168.2.1.  What kind of gateway/router are you
using?

Not all devices will respond to ping but the gateway should.

I assume that your current network allows you to access the internet?

-Yves

> Yves Konigshofer wrote:
> [CUT]
>> Belkin.  You can try connecting to your access point wirelessly and
>> running "arp -a" but I'm not sure if its hardware address will resolve to
>> an IP address.
>>
>
> UPDATE: arp -a shows me those info:
>
> how can I use them ? a ping to those 2 ips doesn't give any reply. Neither
> any kind of http connection, of course.
>
> root@nelson:# arp -a
> ? (192.168.2.1) at <incomplete> on eth1
> ? (192.168.2.254) at <incomplete> on eth1
>
> it seems there is something wrong..
>
>> -Yves
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Lorenzo




Re: reset access point belkin
Yves Konigshofer wrote:
> It looks like your access point is at the proper IP address.
>
> What is your computer's IP address, subnet and gateway set to?  You subnet
> should be 255.255.255.0 if your IP address starts with 192.168.2.  Your
> gateway should be set to 192.168.2.1.  What kind of gateway/router are you
> using?
>

this is the lan configuration:

       ------------- [GATEWAY] -------------- [SWITCH]
       |             10.0.0.1 (eth0)           |    |
[ADSL router]    192.168.0.1 (eth1)         [AP]  [LAPTOP]
  10.0.0.138                                   ?  192.168.0.1   (eth0)
                                                  192.168.2.100 (wlan)

all netmask are 255.255.255.0.
The gateway is a PC with a linux box.
I can ping the gateway from the laptop, but i can't find the AP's IP.

> Not all devices will respond to ping but the gateway should.
>
> I assume that your current network allows you to access the internet?

Yes. I can access the internet from laptop even using wired lan, either
wireless. The AP works correctly, but I can't access its configuration
or reset it completely.

> -Yves

Thanks again,

-- Lorenzo


Re: reset access point belkin
In the current configuration, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0,
everything sent from 192.168.0.x that is intended for 192.168.2.254 will be
sent to the gateway and the gateway should send it to the ADSL router (not
to the LAN).  The access point will thus be unreachable but will still
function properly as an access point.

If you connect your laptop directly to the access point with a crossover
cable and manually assign your laptop an IP address like 192.168.2.128 then
it should be able to connect (you may have to reboot the laptop for the IP
address change to take effect).  However, you mentioned that you were not
able to connect through http.  Does ping work in this configuration?  If you
cannot connect then I would say that something is wrong with the built-in
web server.  Try the factory reset procedure again by holding the reset
button for at least 5 seconds while turning on the unit.

-Yves

> Yves Konigshofer wrote:
>> It looks like your access point is at the proper IP address.
>>
>> What is your computer's IP address, subnet and gateway set to?  You
>> subnet should be 255.255.255.0 if your IP address starts with 192.168.2.
>> Your gateway should be set to 192.168.2.1.  What kind of gateway/router
>> are you using?
>>
>
> this is the lan configuration:
>
>       ------------- [GATEWAY] -------------- [SWITCH]
>       |             10.0.0.1 (eth0)           |    |
> [ADSL router]    192.168.0.1 (eth1)         [AP]  [LAPTOP]
>  10.0.0.138                                   ?  192.168.0.1   (eth0)
>                                                  192.168.2.100 (wlan)
>
> all netmask are 255.255.255.0.
> The gateway is a PC with a linux box.
> I can ping the gateway from the laptop, but i can't find the AP's IP.
>
>> Not all devices will respond to ping but the gateway should.
>>
>> I assume that your current network allows you to access the internet?
>
> Yes. I can access the internet from laptop even using wired lan, either
> wireless. The AP works correctly, but I can't access its configuration or
> reset it completely.
>
>> -Yves
>
> Thanks again,
>
> -- Lorenzo




Re: reset access point belkin
Yves Konigshofer wrote:

> If you connect your laptop directly to the access point with a crossover
> cable and manually assign your laptop an IP address like 192.168.2.128 then
> it should be able to connect (you may have to reboot the laptop for the IP
> address change to take effect).  However, you mentioned that you were not
> able to connect through http.  Does ping work in this configuration?

nope, no reply from ping, even if I connect directly the laptop and AP.

> If you
> cannot connect then I would say that something is wrong with the built-in
> web server.  Try the factory reset procedure again by holding the reset
> button for at least 5 seconds while turning on the unit.

already tried. I think the reset key/procedure is broken or something
similar. I hold down the reset button for at least 5 seconds, the leds
blink as reported in the manual, but after resetting procedure, I still
get wireless signal with the essid set before reset, and not the default
one. So I think that the reset button doesn't work properly. Even
because I can't access in any way the http interface of the AP, although
it should be reset.

Could be an hardware issue ? Sound strange, because the AP works. The
only problem is accessing into it.

Thanks,

-- Lorenzo


Re: reset access point belkin

> I have got a Belkin F57130 access point. I did a reset to restore
> factory settings, but after I did it I can't access anymore to the
> web-based settings interface.
>
> Notice that:
> - there are two reset modes, one to simply restart, the other one to
> restore factory settings, the latter is the one I used;
> - I know that the default access point IP is 192.168.2.254, so I
> switched my pc ethernet interface to the same subnet to access the AP,
> but without success;
>
> the strange fact is that the other settings are still the one modified
> by me, even after the hard reset. At the moment, I'm using this wireless
> link with the AP, the essid is the one i set before reset: only the AP's
> ip isn't the same, nor the factory default one. My question is: is it
> possibile that I reset only the IP and not the other settings ?
>
> How can I access settings web-based interface now ?
> Are there other ways to reset it more completely ?

The AP obviously did not fully reset to the factory defaults. Either you
did not hold the reset button long enough (at least five seconds) or the
AP is defective.



Re: reset access point belkin
Neill Massello wrote:

> The AP obviously did not fully reset to the factory defaults. Either you
> did not hold the reset button long enough (at least five seconds) or the
> AP is defective.
>

Some settings are strangely still set after the reset (yes, I press it
for 5 seconds, even more sometimes.. I tried to reset a lot of times
today.) But the AP isn't accessible at the ip I set in past, neither the
default factory IP (192.168.2.254).

So, how's possible that some settings have changed, and other have not ?

-- Lorenzo


Site Timeline