REQ Help: How connect laptop wirelessly to four computer network?

Hi,

I have four home computers connected to a wired router and a cable internet feed.

My laptop has a working wireless card.

Is there some hardware that will allow my laptop to connect wirelessly to my wired network?

Thanks, MHL

Reply to
MHenry
Loading thread data ...

You're joking right? Among the dozens of others made by other manufacturers, I just picked up a 3rd Linksys WRT54G at walmart for $43.99... If they have em on sale at Wal-mart, you KNOW they have been around for a long time....

Reply to
Peter Pan

No, I am not joking. I am not network savvy. Hi, PeterPan,

Are you saying I could replace my wired router with a wireless router? Wouldn't I then have to get wireless cards for my four desktops?

Whatever ways there are to do this, I would like to just keep my wired router for my four desktops ( ' cause its working) and somehow get the connection to the laptop wirelessly,.

I thought I heard you could buy an adaptor that plugs into an electrical socket, and into which you plug an internet cable from a wired router which then converts the wired internet connection to a wireless one you could then pick up with a wireless ready laptop.

MHenry

Reply to
MHenry

In that case, I'll make a suggestion.. Look at the Linksys wrt54g (you can get em real cheap at places like walmart, recomennd em all the time, and never had a problem)

For tech specs

formatting link
Basic/relevant excerpt: Product Features

Wireless-G Broadband Router

All-in-one Internet-sharing Router, 4-port Switch, and Wireless-G (802.11g) Access Point Shares a single Internet connection and other resources with Ethernet wired and Wireless-G clients Wireless data rates up to 54Mbps -- 5 times as fast as Wireless-B (802.11b), but also interoperable with Wireless-B devices (at 11Mbps) Advanced security: Wi-Fi Protected AccessT (WPA), wireless MAC address filtering, powerful SPI firewall

It is a combo wired AND wireless router.. for $50 or so, it replaces the wired router but ALSO has wireless in the same box. In your case, you can have your cake and eat it too.. (don't really eat it though, the plastic will get stuck in your teeth) :)

Like what you heard about AND has wireless built in... Some basic acronyms.. you may have heard WAP/Router .. a WAP = Wireless Access Point, so when you see WAP/Router it is a Wireless Access Point and a Router in the same box. Think everything you want in one box for under $50 (They do also have a WRT54GS but it costs more and the speedbooster ((the s at the end of the model number)) doesn't work any faster-at the s speed- with everyones computers...

MHenry wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

MHenry hath wroth:

You have two choices:

1. If your router and cable modem are one conglomerated box, or you wish it preserve your existing unspecified model router, then you can add what is called a "wireless access point". More on this later.

1. If your unspecified router is ancient, and your cable modem is separate, and you wouldn't mind replacing the router, then what you're looking for is called a "wireless router".

A "wireless router" is actually a "wireless access point" with a wired ethernet router inside the same box. You can purchase a wireless router, and ignore the router section, effectively converting it into an access point. Therefore, since the "wireless router" can do everything the "wireless access point" can do, and actually costs less, I suggest buying a "wireless router".

One possible complication is that your unspecified model laptop might have an odd or old wireless device. This will not prevent it from operating with any random wireless router or access point. However, you will not get spectacular performance and range.

There are many vendors and devices worth considering. I suggest you dig through: |

formatting link
reviews, prices, and see if anything looks appealing. I also suggest you educate yourself on the basics at: |
formatting link
will be helpful at interpreting the buzzwords and acronyms.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

...omitted...

I have a Netgear RT314 separate from my cable modem (Motorola SB4220 SURFBoard) which I believe qualifies as ancient. But it works, so I am not eager to replace it.

If I do as you suggest, purchase a wireless router and ignore the router section, converting it to an access point, how will my desktops connect to the internet? I don't think any of them are wifi ready.

...omitted...

I did spend some time on the web site you recommended, but I probably have to re-read it a few times to get reasonably comfortable with how this all works.

Thank you very much for your help.

MHL

Reply to
MHenry

MHenry hath wroth:

The SB4220 is capeable of DOCSIS 2.0, so it's definately worth keeping.

However, the Netgear RT314 is about as ancient a router that can still be useful. It has two problems... a general lack of features and a slow processor which limits thruput to about 2.0Mbits/sec. I would certainly consider replacing the RT314 with a wireless router combination.

However, I have a dilema. I usually recommend seperate boxes for the router and the wireless access point. That's because the router wants to live near the cable modem and where all the wires come together. That's usually in a closet, under a desk, or buried somewhere where the mess of wires are well hidden. However, the wireless access point wants to live up high in the open, where it can have the best view of the house or office. These are mutually incompatible. If you purchase a wireless router to replace your RT314, you will have to deal with a compromise between these two requirements. It's also about twice as expensive to purchase two boxes when a conglomerated wireless router will do the job in one box. Your decision.

Same as they do now. Through a wired ethernet connection to the back of the wireless router. All of them have 4 port ethernet 10/100 switches. When you convert the wireless router to an access point, the switch still works. Note that most access points do NOT include the ethernet switch feature.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.