REQ Advice in budget wireless home-cctv

Hi there, I wondered if anyone might be able to help.

Being the family "techy guy" (every family has one and, in all probability it's you), I was approached by one of the aforementioned family members and asked if I could spec a budget home security system. My immediate thoughts (in no particular order) were:-

1) That's going to need knowledge of wireless and spycam setups

2) I don't have any experience of wireless and spycam setups

3) I really should learn to say "I've no idea, uncle. Sorry."

I said I would look into it, but my research thus far hasn't enlightened me any further. Perhaps I'm getting too long in the tooth. Perhaps my 4yr old nephew will be inheritor as "techy guy" a little sooner than I'd imagined.

So that's my situation. Here's my thoughts so far. I have information gaps which I'm hoping someone here might be able to fill.

Small Form Factor PC running Linux. SFF due to the simple expedient of being small and relatively unobtrusive and/or hidable. Best hidable place would be the attic/loft, which would make any PC maintenance a tad tricky. Speaking of which, it would need to be as hands-off as possible. I get to make enough housecalls involving PC problems as it is. :P

I'd have to go with Linux (for budgetary reasons). Tho I've never used Linux, I have (in the past) used various versions of Unix. I'm fairly confident I can get it up and running and (with my old friend Google) get the capture card installed and configured. Assuming some/all cards can run under Linux... would I need the manufacturer's drivers, or does Linux have such a thing as a generic capture card driver?

I realise I may be asking some of these questions in the wrong group :)

Which brings me to the capture card. I've seen some on eBay, but wouldn't know where to start in choosing the most suitable. Suggested models and/or things to look out for would be appreciated.

Same with the actual cameras. I'd hoped for 4 cameras, which is possible judging by the cards I've seen... assuming they're what I'm after. I'm working to a tight budget, but the importance of a hassle-free setup means I'd be willing to spend a few pennies more if I need to.

A further possible requirement would be (in addition to motion-sensor-triggered recording to local HD) the automatic uploading of images from the PC to an online location... not all images, for bandwidth reasons, but restricted uploads e.g. 1 frame in 5. Just enough to capture the image of a potential burglar, should they find the hidden PC and take the evidence with them.

That would be the paranoid option which I'd happily forego if the expense/technical knowledge is beyond my means. Burglars don't look in the attic, do they? :)

Also... the wireless infrared cameras I've seen for sale... do they perform well in well-lit conditions, or would they only offer protection from dusk till dawn?

Told you I had a few information gaps :P

TIA for any help/advice you might be able to offer.

Regards,

Craig McDonald

Reply to
Red Celt
Loading thread data ...

Craig,

DLink makes some wireless cameras that do motion detection, recording of data, and all run over a wireless network. They're rather uly, so you'll have to get creative in hiding them.

With these cameras, you can set up a regular PC to connect and pull the data down. DLink *gives* you the software to do this. It's all pretty simple. That, and you can have multiple cameras.

Feel free to contact me for a price quote.

Chris

formatting link

Reply to
NetSteady

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.