Replacing DSL with Pt-to-Pt wireless link to FiOS

Claro! Thanks, Jeff.

Reply to
News
Loading thread data ...

One additional Q:

Should LOCOM2 (as AP) be physically connected to Actiontec WAN or LAN port?

Reply to
News

That depends on where you want the Actiontec router to be located. If you want it located next to the FIOS modem, then the wireless goes to the LAN port. If you want to locate the Actiontec router at the other end of the wireless link, it goes to the WAN port.

If you run the wireless over the LAN port, please lose the Sonicwall SOHO router and replace it with an ethernet switch.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

OK, so it will phys connect to a LAN port.

Actiontec presently does DHCP on the 192.168.1.X subnet, which I will adopt as gateway when the switchover from DSL is assured.

Can I fix the LOCOM2 IP? Or does this matter?

There are presently (and will be) two ethernet switches cascaded behind the SOHO2, on a fixed IP = 192.168.168.1, as gateway to a 192.168.168.X subnet.

To the best of my knowledge the SOHO3 operates only as a wired firewall and to do NAT for up to 50 (license limit) devices attached to the switches. Would you consider that to be a router?

I want to retain the firewall function. Any reason I must remove it?

Thanks.

(BTW, I got the LOCOM2s set up and associated across the intended wireless span with top of scale signal strength, so that part seems to be a success. Now just have to get traffic to flow.)

Reply to
News

Also, just to be clear, the remote wired network devices are fixed IP on a 192.168.168.X subnet, which must be maintained.

Thanks again.

Reply to
News

Correct.

Yes you can, yes you should, and yes you should read the PDF that I pointed you to that explains how to setup fixed IP addresses on the radios. It will still work if you use whatever random IP address you find convenient, but you won't be able to configure the radios on your LAN unless you select IP addresses that are in the range 192.168.1.x. This is especially true of you leave the IP address at the stock IP addresses, where both radios are on the same IP address.

You do not need a 2nd router. You do not need double NAT. Just buy a cheap switch and be done with it. Wired and wireless bridging is about MAC addresses, not IP addresses.

Yes.

The firewall function in the Actiontec router is all you need. If you want a better firewall (the SOHO3 is a very good firewall), then replace the Actiontec with the Sonicwall SOHO3, configure the Actiontec as a wireless access point, and install an ethernet switch at the other end of the wireless link.

Cool. I'm really surprised it works that well through 4 walls.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Done and associated as separate fixed IPs in 192.168.1.X range.

OK; does this mean I may retain the fixed 192.168.168.X subnet as is?

Many thanks, Jeff !

Reply to
News

Woot has a real deal on a 5 port switch today (Sat) only

Reply to
LouB

No. It will be all 192.168.1.xxx with a switch. Unless you have some reason to establish a 2nd sub-net, methinks it's an un-necessary complexication. One possible such use would be if you run a coffee shop or mini-wireless-ISP, and need to keep the customers seperate from your internal network. Using 2 routers will sorta work for this, but it's not perfect.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yeah, I notice as 5 friend sent me email asking if it was a good switch.

I have 3 of them in stock, so I don't need any. I think I paid about $25/ea, so $11/ea is certainly a deal. They've worked well for me with only one failure (probably static damage). However, all my new installs are getting gigabit switches, especially if they use NAS or stream video over the LAN.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well, that's the issue. Keeping the office network separate from a home network. That's why I anticipated using the SonicWall to NAT office fixed IPs.

Reply to
News

Was thinking it might be of use to the OP

Reply to
LouB

Thanks; already running a double cascade of 8-port switches.

Reply to
News

I consider that to be an abomination, or at least a problem in waiting. Every time I've done that, I find the port connecting the two switches to ocassionally saturate. Usually, it's something to do with massive file copying or bakckups between machines or NAS storage. No matter how hard I try to distribute machines that are likely to need the bandwidth on one switch box, I eventually get a phone call that the network is running "slow". The first time, I just untangle the mess, and find a more suitable port arrangement. The 2nd time, I sell them a 16 or 24 port switch, or a gigabit switch.

If you think this might be a problem, build or buy an ethernet tap:

and measure the traffic at the interconnecting ports.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I don't notice any speed issues; the heavy backup work is done overnight.

I do want to maintain the office subnet separate from a home subnet.

That's why I anticipated using the SonicWall to NAT office fixed IPs.

Reply to
News

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.