Replacing Computer

Just a couple of months ago had a wireless network added to our house. This computer has the modem and router etc. I fear this computer is dying a slow death. (Numerous strange noises etc) Any suggestions since I had the wireless network by someone else I'm not sure I can set up a new computer without having lots of problems.

Thanks for any suggestions.

David

Reply to
David Lawson
Loading thread data ...

Open computer. Remove dust with an air hose. About 50psi max. Make sure the air hose does not blow oil, water, or rust. I have a small compressor in my shop and air tank on my truck for the purpose.

Remove fans. Clean with stiff paint brush. If noisy, unscrew the fans from the heat sink. Peel off the paper label. Remove rubber plug. Add 2 drops of good oil. "Pump" the fan blade in an out to scrape off the crud from the shaft. Replace plug and paper label. Spin fan blade with air hose until loose. Re-assemble. Do the same with the power supply fan. If the noises persist, replace the fans. They're cheap.

Suggestion for what? A new computah?

This week, I like most Dell computers. There's nothing unique about the computer that would involve the wireless. The computer has an ethernet port that plugs into the wireless router. Literally any computah that you buy these days comes with an ethernet port. Older machines can have an ethernet card added for about $15. What determines the type of computer is cost and applications, neither of which you've identified.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

No, no, no. Never read the manual until AFTER you've made a mess, screwed everything up, and trashed the system. Manuals are included in the box to deliver legal terminology, disclaimer, warranty, and wholesale repudiation of responsibility documents. Most manuals include very little useful information other than "insert disk and follow instructions". Since the manuals are now apparently written by the legal department, I would not expect much.

The technical issues have been moved to the "read me first" document, which was formerly an afterthought to avoid common screwups (such as plugging in the card before or after the software). However, these days, I'm finding more than one "read me first" document in the box, making me wonder about the quality of the product.

I also consider it personally demeaning to admit that I need to read the manual to install a product. Never let the customer see you reading the manual or they may wonder if you know what you're doing. Questions like "have you ever installed one of these before" are epidemic. I have a reputation of expertise and infallibility to maintain and admitting that I have to read the manual before proceeding is a sure sign of weakness.

Think if it this way. How would you approach doing something complex and unfamiliar, such as brain surgery? Would you just dive in and muddle around? Would you read "Brain Surgery for the Complete Idiot" and then dive in and muddle around? Would your read the instructions that came with the scalpel and saw? Would you ask questions in a newsgroup and receive incomprehensible advice? Probably not. You would probably hire a professional brain surgeon and get it done correctly. Perhaps he would be good enough to explain what he was doing so that you might understand the general concepts.

Anyway, I never read the manual or follow instructions. Well, I've been known to write the manuals and give instruction, but only if adequately bribed.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"David Lawson" wrote in news:cPA1e.2260$Qz.1676@okepread05:

Read the manual : )

And then post and questions you have here.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.