Replacement For Belking Wireless Crap Modem Router

Sick of the thing, I'm gonna run it under the wheels of my car. Firmware updates don't ..... if you can find an update. Customer Services great if you have a spare 2 days and can't speak english.

So folks:

I want a reliable Wireless Router to wire to my Desktop1, wireless to Desktop2...4 metres away with a (spit) 2 month old Belkin card in it ..... and wireless to my Laptop Intel 2200BG card in it.

Recommendations? I don't mind running over the Belkin card as well ;-)

Blood pressure ...................

Reply to
Jack Ouzzi
Loading thread data ...

Sorry Belkin ........... still crap however you spell it. I'm in the UK BTW

Reply to
Jack Ouzzi

I've had good luck with Linksys WRT54G routers and WAP54G access points.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Personally all of my Wireless network gear is Netgear. I use the WGT624

108Mb Wireless router with a Netgear WG311 PCI Wireless card and a Dell laptop with an Intel ProWireless card in it.

The only caveat I would make about using netgear equipment is that the drivers only work on standard versions Windows 98, 2000 and XP. There is not 64bit support from Netgear at all, any request seems to fall into a large black hole.

Also before purchasing, check on the Netgear website to see which is the latest version of the router you're interested in. Then talk to the suppliers to ensure that the version they have available is the latest that's listed on Netgear's website. Doing this will save a lot of effort and gnashing of teeth.

I know this because the first router I bought was one of the early Netgear 54g models and it was only after purchasing it that I discovered there had been 2 re-releases of the same router with different hardware/firmware. This meant that some of the problems I had with the original router couldn't be resolved by upgrading the firmware alone. I had to replace the router with a much newer model.

Linksys are are also a good, reliable manufacturer from what I've read on the newsgroups.

Hope that helps,

-- JasonB

Reply to
jasonb

Reply to
Steffo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.