Repeater, well, kinda anyway question

Have several pieces of wireless hardware left from various upgrades;

1 Senao 3220 wireless B/G currently using as my Access Point 1 Senao wireless B Access Point/Bridge 2 Dlink 900AP+ Access Points/Bridges

I'd like to setup the Senao wireless B as a point to point bridge, wirelessly connected to the Senao G Access Point, and connect the bridge with Cat5 to one of the Dlinks, which would be setup as an Access Point, to connect wirelessly with the other 900AP, which would be setup as a client. This would give me a repeater function, but faster since I'd have two radios to pass the data.

My main question is, could the Senao bridge/Dlink access point cat5 connection be direct, perhaps with a crossover cable, or would I need a switch or hub in between? Or will this all work at all?

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird
Loading thread data ...

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 00:07:57 -0500, Airman Thunderbird wrote in :

Crossover cable.

Reply to
John Navas

Airman Thunderbird hath wroth:

It should work. I have a similar repeater assembled from two DWL-900AP+ radios. The cable between them is an ethernet crossover cable. Watch the lights on the front panels. If they fail to light up, you goofed on the wiring.

However, there are some things to watch out for:

1. Make sure you setup the IP addresses on the repeater radios so that you don't duplicate the IP addresses. In fact, I would make both of them something other than the default so that you can reset them without creating a conflict. Something like 192.168.0.10 and

1. The repeater radios MUST be on different non-overlapping channels. It will function if they're both on the same channel, but you'll see only half the thruput. If the antennas can see each other and are close together, you'll get interference no matter what channel you select. I suggest 1 and 11 for each radio, and to make an effort to keep the antennas seperated or directional in opposite directions.

2. The DWL-900AP+ has some quirks. Turn off the 4x mode and set the maximum TX rate to 11Mbits/sec, not 22Mbits/sec. Some models have both an external and internal antenna in the box. I think the external antenna is the "left" antenna, but try both to be sure.
    formatting link
  3. I'll assume you're aware that only the DWL-900AP+ rev E1 can act as a repeater. Although you're not using this mode, if you decide to try it, be advised that it's not very compatible with other access points and clients. The only one's I've been able to make work are other routers with Texas Instruments chipsets. This is not a problem in access point, bridge, or client mode.

1. Be sure to test the setup in one room before deploying. There are all kinds of weird timing issues that will slow things down. If everything is working absolutely perfectly (it never does), you should get about 4.5Mbits/sec maximum TCP thruput at 11Mbits/sec.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Jeff's advice is otherwise good, but:

- I'm not aware of a Rev E1. Certainly Rev B1, C1, C2 work in Repeater mode with current firmware. But stick to the Rev C devices since they have a faster CPU.

- I have successfully used the DWL-900AP+ to repeat non-TI based kit, including other D-Link APs as well as Linksys, Netgear and BT branded devices

- if you do have problems (although as Jeff says, you would not be using the device in Repeater mode) you can - as I guess you are aware and as Jeff alludes to - create a vendor-neutral repeater by connecting two DWL-900AP+s back-to-back, one configured as a wireless client, the other as an AP. Works just fine, and as the device has two radios does not suffer (quite) the same throughput loss as a single radio repeater

I *like* the DWL-900AP+. I use and have installed many. Thoroughly reliable - I regard it as one of D-Link's (well, Global Sun Technology's) better products. Pity it's at end-of-life...

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Richard Perkin hath wroth:

Sorry. I couldn't recall the exact revision letter and guessed. However, I wasn't aware that the repeater function was in the B1 revision. I thought it was only in the C1 and later.

Not me. The usual problem is that it connects, handshakes, spends a long time getting a DHCP IP lease, and then proceeds to move traffic in a jerky and erratic manner. I can improve things somewhat by locking the speeds of the access points to 2Mbits/sec or 5.5Mbits/sec, but never seem to get more than about half the expected speed. For example, in store and forward at 5.5Mbits/sec, I should get about

2Mbits/sec TCP thruput. The best I could do is perhaps 0.25 to 0.5Mbits/sec.

What inspired the back to back DWL-900AP+ repeater was this erratic operation. As soon as it was deployed as a replacement for the then existing DWL-900AP+ repeater, my thruput went to about 1.0 to 2.5 Mbits/sec at wireless 5.5Mbits/s speed, which is about what would be expected. The lower speeds are due to local RF interference from other client radios.

Do you recall if the DWL-900AP+ in client mode will bridge more than one MAC address? I think it will, but I'm not sure. I have no easy way to check right now.

Me too, execept in repeat mode. Incidentally, I recently upgraded some wireless bridges from 802.11b at 5.5Mbits/sec to 802.11g at approx 24Mbits/sec. I now have 4 more DWL-900AP+ radios. Unfortunately, I can't use them until the replacement installs are finished.

Yep. See:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, it will.

My network is largely constructed like that, with small 'clusters' of devices (typically 2 PCs, 1 printserver) behind a switch, with a DWL-

900AP+ in client mode connected to the switch to provide the link back to a wireless router. For teenage sons, add a games console as well. It all works just fine and avoids having a wireless card for each PC.

I'm still looking for a current-spec device to replace the excellent, but obsolescent, DWL-900AP+ clients in this topology - but I've not (yet) found anything worthwhile. Unless you know better, of course...

Kind regards

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Never had much luck setting up the 900APs as repeater. That's why I thought I'd try this weird arrangement.

Figured using the Senao B to bridge to the Senao B/G access point would work better.

Then hard wire the Dlink access point to the Senao bridge and set the other Dlink as a client to it.

I like the 900AP+ also, especially since I came upon a later (3.10) firmware than was released on Dlinks U.S. site. Been rock solid since then. The Senaos have better range, though.

Richard Perk> Jeff Liebermann wrote in

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

Airman Thunderbird wrote in news:QvqdnWfSnpEAKE_ZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@netdoor.com:

I'm running 3.10 on all my Rev C devices. This firmware was originally on the D-Link Germany site, but was later pulled. It can still be found on the D-Link Italy FTP server, but I've never seen it anywhere else.

Confusingly, the so-called 'current' release (3.09b6) has a later date than 3.10 but reading the associated Release Notes doesn't provide any clarity...

As far as 'rock solid' goes, I've generally been pleased with 3.10 - but there is a regular (if momentary) disconnection every 80 min in client mode. This can be observed in the log, but does not have any noticeable effect on operation.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.