Repeater/extender for my SMC router?

I have an SMC 2804WBRP-G but need something to extend or repeat the signal to another part of my apartment where the signal dies. I got a D-Link DWL-G710 and it set up and was working, but now it doesn't seem to be repeating the signal anymore and I have had o power cycle it a couple of times to get it to work again. Really weird, but D-Link themselves said that they don't have SMC on their compatibility list, so maybe it just doesn't work right with the router. SMC has the

2870, but to use it as a repeater you need to use two, at $70 each. Does anyone know if a repeater or extender that works reliably with this SMC router?

Thanks.

-Ken

Reply to
Ken
Loading thread data ...

You would have to research FCC ID numbers to be sure, but I have seen DLink products that are suspiciously similar to SMC products. Of course none of these boxes are actually built by the people whose name is on the outside. There might be some firmware differences that cause it to partially work.

On the other hand, how bad is your signal? Maybe you can get a good connection by adding a reflector to the existing WAP, and client.

formatting link
EZ-12 works well for me. I printed the pattern on 10mm photo paper, glued aluminum foil to the sail, and I see a nice improvement.
formatting link
formatting link
The signal with the reflector is not only 13dB stronger, it's more stable.

Reply to
dold

That's interesting.

The signal to where I need the repeater for is bad. Setting the router at 54 mbit (or auto) it totally drops at that point. Setting it to 11 mbit I get about .5 mbit down, where with the repeater or within range of the router I get 4.5.

-Ken

Reply to
Ken

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.