repeater

I tried setting up a repeater. Should I see the repeater separate from the ap or does it look as one.

Greg

Reply to
gregz
Loading thread data ...

I got the repeater to show up as a separate entity. Still problems. Coming up with strange ip when trying to connect to it.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I got it to work, ok!!

Disconnected one ap device. . From cable modem to netgear router and wireless, to second ap engenius through cable, then using linksys repeater attaching to engenius. That I could not make work. Used 192.168.1.1 , 2 , 3 in that order.

I have to find what hookup the user has, just testing here.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

After all kinds of tries, I find out I really need wds, and need compatible devices. Im just going to try and use one repeater for now, just to see if I can see signal at all. Need to find a half way point!!

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Many versions of WDS only work with WEP encryption. WPA and WPA2 will work with some firmware (i.e. DD-WRT) but there's no guarantees in a mixed system.

Try a little experiment first. Setup an access point or wireless router with a wired connection to fast server (on the LAN side). Install JPerf on this server and set it up as a JPerf server.

Next, grab a laptop. Install Jperf and set it up as a client. Run the test first via ethernet to make sure things are working. If you're really good, you should see almost wire speed (i.e. something near 100Mbits/sec for a 100baseT ethernet connection).

Next, unplug the ethernet cable and try the test via wireless. For

802.11g, the best you can do via TCP is about 25Mbits/sec.

Now comes the fun. In the same room, setup your store and forward repeater. Just turn it on and make sure it knows the correct SSID and pass phrase. Run the wireless test again.

When I did the above test with various repeaters, I could never get any manner of steady streaming, with the speed going up and down erratically. The best speed I obtained was something like 10Mbits/sec and that was when I separated the wireless router and the laptop enough so that they could not hear each other, but both could still hear the repeater.

Let us know what you find. If you need setup help, ask.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.