remove dell wireless wlan

I'm trying to figure out how to disable the Dell Wireless WLAN application and instead just use XP's built-in wireless capabilities.

I recently reinstalled XP Pro on my Dell latitude D510. After installation, Device Manager was not recognizing my internal wireless card (it didn't even appear in device list), so I downloaded from Dell the driver for it (R140747--52MB, it was--packaged with a few others, I think) and installed it. Device Manager now recognizes my "Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card" as a network adapter and I can connect to my wireless router.

However, I don't want to be running the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility! How the heck do I disable it?? It includes a checkbox that reads "let this tool manage your wireless networks," but even when it is unchecked the program still runs. I want to quit the program permanently. I tried uninstalling it, but that left me back at the original state (device manager didn't see a wireless card), so i reinstalled it.

Before reinstalling XP I didn't have this problem--I could use the wireless adapter without Dell's utility. I imagine this is a driver issue and that I have a newer driver now than I used to (unfortunately, I don't have the previous driver).

Anyone know what to do? Is there a way to get XP to recognize and use the wireless card without Dell's extra WLAN application?

Thanks,

-Casey

Reply to
Casey
Loading thread data ...

Hi Many of these Wireless Utilities are a combo of Driver/Utility application. So, when you uninstall the utility it uninstalls the Wireless card's drivers too. Log to Dell's support, and see if they offer the drivers as a separate download. Otherwise, use these two utilities (StartUp & Process Explorer) to find out the components of the utility and try to get rid of them.

formatting link
times unchecking the entries in the StartUp loading would do it. Jack (MVP-Networking).

Reply to
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Thanks Jack,

I actually managed to disable the utility by disabling the Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service in Computer Management-->Services.

However, one process is still running (WLTRAY.exe), so I will give your suggestions a shot. There used to be three processes, so this is progress...

Thanks for such quick advice!

-Casey

Jack (MVP-Network> Hi

Reply to
Casey

Reply to
Casey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.