Remote sensor using a Wild Blue internet interface

Loading thread data ...

You will probably find it belongs to the University of Nevada. Q330 Data loggers with a GPS Synchronized Clocks seem to be part and parcel of seismic monitoring stations.

Reply to
kev

I thought the Yagi pointed at a rubber duck on the 2nd unit?

Lumpy

In Your Ears for 40 Years

formatting link

Reply to
Lumpy

I don't recall a rubber duck on the 2nd unit. In any event, why would someone set up a RF link for two setups about 50ft apart? Even if you did, a yagi would be overkill for 50ft.

Reply to
miso

formatting link
Lump:

miso:

I don't know why anyone would do that but it's been a major topic of discussion on DLR ever since Joerg first posted the photos.

Lumpy

You Played on Lawrence Welk? Yes but no blue notes. Just blue hairs.

formatting link

Reply to
Lumpy

In case you missed the lengthy discussion, here's the website that displays the seismic measurements from that station -

formatting link
There's another monitoring station SW of there Code: TA.U11A Name: Corn Creek, NV, USA Location: 36.42 N, 115.38 W

And there's another on someone's property in Rach-town. All curiously set up to monitor earth movement south and east of a place where there may or may not be a big boom test, if the politics ever work out.

Lumpy

You were the "OPERATION" game voice? Yes. Take out wrenched ankle.

formatting link

Reply to
Lumpy

I can't find that post, but I saw no rubber ducky in that site. You can search the photo and verify there is no rubber ducky. There is a GPS antenna for timing, which is quite common in networking.

There is a Yucca Mountain Project earthquake network, a Great Basin network, one for Nevada, and probably a few more. You can't say for sure which network this sensor is part of. Further, I see no reason to assume both facilities are related. Different power sources, different fencing,... this doesn't sound like the facilities are tied together.

Reply to
miso

Uh ...... wharze the geophones ?? can't see any geophones in either of these pictures !

looks a LOT more like a geomagnetic setup of equipment ..... the white cabinet box , is typical of USGS geomag units .

earthquake sites are usually ( huge ) spider webs of linked geophones, on a splay of axis suitable for monitoring ground motion. it takes numerous ( dozens , many dozens ) vertical and horizontal arrays to accomplish this properly.

like this .........

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

even in my own personal system I have a grid of 11 sensors for both vertical and horiz . this doesn't look like anything I have seen before ( and I have seen tons of them ) for earthquake measurement.

it does , however , look a lot like the cabinet in the middle of this page ...........

formatting link

for this to " really " be useful for earth quakes it seems to be missing a LOT of equipment that is standard for such stations.

maybe the one ( without the white cabinet ) is measuring ground water radiation and has a single scint probe buried in the water table !! dunno, but nothing there to suggest seismic measurements !!

Reply to
krackula

hey lump ........

these so called seismic charts for that station you mentioned " do not compute " . many of the traces show " high freq " motion detection , like ( say ) a wind storm would produce on a unfiltered sensor. sensors that detect wind , or ANY high frequency motions ( above 10hz , but often above even 4.5 hz ) are of absolutely NO use to monitor seismic earthquake activities.

for example ...... push the " back " button to page 2007-06-25 ... 2007-06-26 and look there is NO such thing as a 24 hour earthquake. all of these 2 hour traces are showing wind induced sensor activity. go forward to the next day and it's a quieter day with what looks like a little local truck / car traffic. ( 22:00 )

the next day shows almost no wind and a couple of interesting trapezoidal motion prints ....... VERY interesting . also not a natural earth wave. there are also a few typical seismic events , but FAR too few to be a real life earthquake record. a typical day here has dozens of tiny quake events, never seen a quite day ever !

don't know what kind of info they are gathering at the sites, but it's definitely not basic quake data....... it's something totally different seismically speaking ! maybe those charts aren't really what's happening at all. seems odd that someone would spend all that money and time to sit and watch the wind blow their sensors from some remote site !!!

Reply to
krackula

I don't have the links handy anymore, but everything is buried quite deep in these installations. Multiple sensors are used, but across a network. Google q330 episensor

Reply to
miso

See fig 38.1

formatting link
pdf STS2
formatting link
Seismic Monitoring Nevada 006

Alamo Earthquake April 27th

formatting link
Real Time Map
formatting link

Reply to
kev

Very first DLR post in the very, very lengthy thread

6/14/2007 18:19:42hrs by Joerg titled "Another Interesting Find"

The thread continues under a couple of different subject titles for a couple of hundred posts.

Lumpy

Did you do a lot of those Emergency Broadcast Warnings? Yes. Had it been an actual emergency I would have hid.

formatting link

Reply to
Lumpy

The sensors are beneath ground, so I don't think there is a wind issue.

Reply to
miso

it'd be interesting to know more about what their sensors look like and what parameters they are measuring .

this equipment strays a LONG way from common USGI type earthquake stations.

typical geophones have a spike on the bottom and are driven into the ground . they " must " be mounted on top of the ground, because after all , that's where the earthquake damage happens and we need to know how strong it was on the surface ( for horiz movement ) and the vertical sensors are also driven into the ground as well. in recent times people have started mounting vertical sensors in well type holes as an alternative.

trouble with all those sensors is that they require a LOT of constant maintenance. a whole industry exists to make equipment to do this job.

formatting link
are exposed to the elements and there are many connections on the long strings of sensors. they develop problems frequently. " buried deep in the ground sensors " is quite a stray from normal seismic station practice.

sensor maintenance is the source of the many affordable sensors on ebay ..... useful to make your own home seismic station

formatting link
jug type sensors are dropped into shallow ( 3' ) holes in the ground and are sometimes used instead of spike sensor strings where conditions might be most severe. but large local strings of these are used as well and they require the frequent maintenance , just like the spikes !

sensor stations are adjusted to the threshold of earth's rotation rumble and filtered to below 20hz , 10, 4.5 hz or 1 hz depending upon the types of measurements being made. a properly built and adjusted seismic station shows NO wind noise and a baseline of constant earth rumble with occasional quake spikes ...... like this ........

formatting link
some are even adjusted to null out the earth rumble.

compare this to the pages of data on the site mentioned somewhere in this thread and you will see that they bear little resemblance to each other. ( and the zillions of USGI sites ALL look exactly alike ) this indicating that the stations near area 51 are measuring parameters FAR different from normal USGI earthquake motion.

maybe it's a school sponsored government project relating to testing or activities located in the local vicinity ? dunno .........

like I said , it'd be interesting to understand why they are doing this and " exactly " what types of measurements they are making. it's nothing like standardized ( ie: USGI ) earthquake monitoring. not even close.

Reply to
krackula

formatting link
suppose this is the ducky. I can't confirm the yagi points to it.

Reply to
miso

Earlier in the thread you stated - "I don't recall a rubber duck on the 2nd unit."

Now, you have a photo of it.

Lumpy

You were the Ken-L-Ration St Bernard? Yes. My dog's bigger.

formatting link

Reply to
Lumpy

thanx for those links , I appreciate it.

" got it !! " . haha aha ha aa

you'd think that since we already have an elaborate USGS network of seismic stations that stuff like this would be surperfulious , totally unnecessary. after all, the USGS stations are a result and evolution of over a century of study and research into measuring earthquakes. don't they represent the " pinnacle " of application of lessons learned ! well, yes they do ..... but there " might " be some other interesting ( to some people ) things going on down there that the design of these stations ( conviently ) totally eliminates from their measurement.

this is a subject dear to my interests ..... one I would just love to launch right into . alas , I cannot do that .. but I will make a few comments ( do I hear the teacher coming with the ruler to smack my hand again ?? ya yaha haha )

just think of this. some of the links above contain very interesting information , especially when compared against the USGS station equipment. the chart result of traces is quite different from USGS and the equipment differences explain why. also, maps of sensor placement ( usgs and the others ) are interesting to ponder as well !

that ............ and a " knowledgable " government conspiracy nut could make GREAT use of " all that " to fabricate some pretty wild theories that would have interesting factual information to foster those thoughts. ( they could , but the reality would probably be miles away from their thoughts )

look at the " enormous " web of satellites and sensors , that our government has launched into the sky ...... mostly to compliment thoughts of protection for our country from the air , and space and to facilitate military applications !!! you'd think that the USA is somewhat paranoid if you didn't know better ! think then , what might be a natural extension of that desire to " know " what is happening around you ? it's well known that we have the sea beds peppered with monitoring and detection equipment...... and perhaps even defensive ( offensive ?? ) weapons platforms for homeland protection as well ! ( nawww .... we'd never put weapons platforms in space or under the seas would we ?? .... don't we have treaties that say we won't ?? )

( disclaimer: not of the above is necessarily directly applicable to what is actually happening with the equipment in this thread )

anyway ......... this is a great thread .. with tons of interesting material for a wide range of interests for people that might read this NG. truly super stuff ............

and along those lines ....... I've posted a " public view " trace of equipment designed to do the same measurements .... slightly different " slant and parameters " .. but essentially the exact same stuff . this jpeg is posted on alt.binaries.radio-scanner for your review.

the top trace is a 24 hour geomagnetic run ( that's my story and I'm sticking to it ) and the bottom trace is the ( heavily didacted ) same time line for .... uh .......... measurements very similar to the ones mentioned in the above thread by someone else. ( maybe , if you overlayed my trace and theirs, you'd find some correlation on one of their pages !! haha haha note that anything really " interesting " has been intentionally removed from MY traces ).

it's good to note that almost " anyone " can set this equipment up at home VERY inexpensively . the farther you are located from area51 the more of a disadvantage you might be, but just maybe there is interesting " stuff " to measure in your own local as well. there is FAR more happening , nationwide , then anyone would probably suspect ! know also that there might be " additional ' types of complimentary measurements that one would make to go with this information ( electromagnetic, infrasonic , IR, radiological or ?? ) and some are probably part of the stations mentioned above but not publicly reported .

it's also easy to make this equipment portable and take it with when you go to area51 - nellis - nts. ttr and maybe you'd have the happy coincidence of being there when an interesting event is taking place as well.

Reply to
krackula

Snip Well "launch the viewer" and have a play with this as well:-

formatting link

Reply to
kev

One of the pages mentions that the sensors around Corn Creek are funded by the DOE and also serve some kind of Antelope Habitat study.

Looking at the placement of sensors, there are installations at Warm Springs, TTR and several other locations surrounding the ranges. It also seems that there are a comparitively large number of faults around the ranges. It would make sense for the DOE to study what the earth is doing before storing nuclear waste or blowing up a big can of oil.

Lumpy

You Played on Lawrence Welk? Yes but no blue notes. Just blue hairs.

formatting link

Reply to
Lumpy

the charts speak for themselves. if , for example, you are reading a EGK strip chart and you see an elevated " T " wave ........ it's an elevated T wave. if you see a signature " wind " trace , it's a wind trace. a rose is a rose, by any other name. that , and if it WAS ground tremble for that long and magnitude ( never mind it's a sig wind wave ) you'd have to be ( should be ) seismically afraid , that or possibly think tunnel boring equipment is afoot ( this , especially for you conspiracy people out there ) . if you don't think " normal " ( usgs ) tremble data then maybe ' wind " isn't as much as an issue as a desirable element. meaning your equipment is set up in a way that happens to see " some " types of wind activity and as a side effect and happens to be a handy indication that your equipment sensitivity and settings are still " spot on " so to speak.

THESE charts show some VERY interesting " stuff " ....... take a look at those trapezoidal waves , for example. is there some unfortunate resonance ( ringing ) in the deployment their equipment applications ?? or is THAT evidence of something FAR more interesting ??

yaya yaahah ah a ahaa ( no trapezoidal waves exist in nature, or do they ?? ) only their hairdresser ( engineers ) knows for sure !

fun stuff ........ see !! I told you to make yourself some seismic - infrasonic toys to take with you. you can even hide them in those fiberglass rocks and come back and " dump " or retrieve them at a later time if you want ! < wink >

Reply to
krackula

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.