Remote Desktop Connection Help

Hi, I have a question if someone can answer it for me. I have a laptop running windows xp and i want to access it from my university computer to do programming n stuff. I am using my landlords wireless connection. I tried to use the windows xp remote desktop connection but i think due to the firewall settings of the router, it wont let me conect to it. I was wandering if there is a way to connect to my computer without asking my landlord to change some setting in the router or something.

Thank you guys for ur help and time. :)

Reply to
azzamqazi
Loading thread data ...

You need to know the IP address of the computer you are trying to connect to. If the computer is behind a router that is using NAT, this is the IP address of the router. Connections to that IP address on port 3389 (that's the default; you can change that port) need to go to the computer you are trying to connect to. So, ask your landlord to forward connections on port

3389 (or, whatever you change it to) to your computer's LAN IP address. For this to work, your computer will have to have a static IP address on the LAN (with most consumer routers, just manually set the IP address to something below the router-assigned range or well into it; i.e., if the router assigns 192.168.1.100->192.168.1.255, using something like 192.168.1.50 or 192.168.1.200 should work). Finally, be sure that your firewall is not blocking port 3389.

-Yves

Reply to
Yves Konigshofer

well i was wandering if there is a way else than asking my landlords to forward a port. I dont want to ask my landlords because they might not like it because they are too nosey. Is it possible any other way like use pcanywhere or something but i suppose i need an open port to use pcanywhere too right, so in that case does anyone know what i should do!!. Thanks guys :)

Reply to
azzamqazi

Yes, but within Windows it's probably too complicated.

Pretty well any router is going to allow traffic on port 22 (SSH). With a Unix/Linux box, I'd just suggest using SSH and remote X windows, and I'm pretty sure it could be done with Windows, Cygwin & VNC, but it's going to take some research. PCanywhere might not be a problem - I don't know it - but again it's going to take some research.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.