Reliable Wireless Router Needed .. HELP!

After a year, my belkin wireless router crapped out for some reason. For months, I've been testing out various brands to replace it without luck. Appears that I'm not alone in this frustrating quest either:

.. in order of suckiness:

"Belkin sucks" achieves 401 hits (google). "D-link sucks" achieves 751 hits (google). "Netgear sucks" achieves 903 hits (google). ....... I tried one, but it couldn't even find my modem. Hellooooo! "Linksys sucks" achieves 3050 hits (google).

"Worst routers" achieves 432 google hits.

The wired routers tend to work. It is the wireless jobs that are the perpetual nightmare.

So I'm still hunting. No doubt the problem is strictly software related. Any suggestions? No trolls please. I currenty use a Efficient Networks Speedstream modem.

Steve

Reply to
Stevepppp
Loading thread data ...

Interesting. I would have rated the vendors in the reverse order of the number of complaints.

Here's another way I like to check. Go to the download site for the vendor and see how many old products that they no longer sell have firmware updates. Also, how many updates. In my warped opinion, updates are a sign of continuous development, concern for the cutomer, and general attempts to improve the product. I think you'll find the Linksys updates almost continuously, even for old products. Belkin has at best one update per product. D-Link and Netgear are in between.

Yep. RF causes nightmares. It also causes brain cancer, bad breath, and premature impoverishment.

Speedstreamm/Efficient/Siemens make many modems. Some good, some bad. Any clue as to which model?

What's your DSL speed? Some of the bottom of the line routers don't do well at higher speeds.

Any price limit? There's some really nice stuff made by Cisco, Sonicwall, 3Com, and other high end vendors. Wanna pay the price for quality?

Any particular performance specs or limitations? Expected range? Environment (indoor, outdoor, vehicle, etc)? Better yet, how do you plan to use it? Casual web browsing, or heavy duty video?

Any important features? Dual SSID? Running a hot spot or neighborhood WLAN? Interference problems?

Also, see reviews at:

and performance charts at:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The order probably reflects the popularity to some degree ie LinkSys prolly sold more units than say Belkin and hence more complaints.

Good tip. Sounds reasonable.

Another tip is to cardcount how many returns are at Frys, etc. Frys had multiple returned boxes of routers of all four companies.

As I noted, the ones I've tried didn't even find the modem.

Thanks. Do you have a specific model number that you've tried and worked with flying colors?

Yes. After all, a good router cannot be too expensive.

Not fussy on the flexability and performance beyond the fact that the unit must set up and operate reliably .. aka error free with an IBM system.

Nope. I'm easy.

Thanks for your input. Hope you can supply me with a current model number. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Stevepppp

PC Magazine rated the current crop or routers (G, fast G, N) a few months back and as I recall, Linksys came out on top in all three categories.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

well, you could do something along these lines:

1. get a cheap intel/amd box (any speed faster than 500 Mhz)
  2. install a wireless pci device and 2 ethernet cards
  3. install openbsd
  4. bridge one of the ethernet devices to the wireless (as a bridge)
  5. have the other Ethernet device setup to acquire the ip address from your dsl/cable device (and run pf as the firewall on that device)

what you will have created here is a home built combination unit (a wired switch with a wireless interface and a firewall/router).

now, I know this can be done, but I don't have the actual know how to get it done (A friend of mine actually setup one).

there is a lot of reading material available on the subject. just use openbsd+router+wireless in a google search.

hope this helps

Reply to
Eric Oyen - N7ZZT

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.