Regulatory daemon question

I'm slightly baffled by the Intel-provided ipw3945d regulatory daemon I have running for my Intel 3945ABG wireless card under Linux. My laptop is American and I found I couldn't connect to a Japanese 802.11a network.

As far as I can tell it's actually limiting which channels the card will talk on at all. For instance, in the 5.2GHz band, it will listen on channels 36, 40, 44, 48, etc. but not 34, 38, 42, 44 or whatever.

What I want to confirm is, I can understand wifi NIC vendors wanting to restrict what frequencies it will broadcast on, because of FCC requirements, but do they normally even restrict on what frequencies the card will respond to an access point's beacon on? It won't even listen and broadcast even if the surrounding access points are obviously operating in a different regulatory environment?

It just seems so silly when people obviously travel with their laptops and whatnot. What do 'b/g' people do when travelling to Israel with a Spanish laptop? What do 'a' people do when travelling to Japan with an American laptop? Buy a NIC in each country? (Is the regulatory daemon responding to some region code embedded in the NIC? It says something about 'detected geography' but I very much doubt it can tell where my laptop computer actually is.)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll
Loading thread data ...

Have you checked the "Country Region" in your wireless card properties? You should be able to specify which region you want the card to work in. I don't have that specific wireless card but having just checked a couple of laptops with wifi I am able to specify a region I wish to use.

Reply to
Kev

(snip)

I haven't found such a facility yet. I've tried poking about in /sys/module/ipw3945/ and /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ipw3945/ to see if I could find a likely file to change, but it was all a bit unclear. Thanks for the idea, though. iwpriv eth2 --all doesn't report anything juicy, alas.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

As an example:-

formatting link

Reply to
Kev

formatting link
"The host is responsible for middle and upper layer MAC services.

As a result of this change, some of the capabilities currently required to be provided on the host include enforcement of regulatory limits for the radio transmitter (radio calibration, transmit power, valid channels, 802.11h, etc.) In order to meet the requirements of all geographies into which our adapters ship (over 100 countries) we have placed the regulatory enforcement logic into a user space daemon that we provide as a binary under the same license agreement as the microcode. We provide that binary pre-compiled as both a 32-bit and

64-bit application. The daemon utilizes a sysfs interface exposed by the driver in order to communicate with the hardware and configure the required regulatory parameters."
Reply to
Kev

(snip)

(snip)

Ah, thanks! It's in /sys/ somewhere, then, I just have to find it. (It'll be one of those generically-named files with nothing but a number in it, no doubt.)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.