Recommendations for routers for the parents?

Hi,

My father lives 600 miles from me, and he's got a Comcast cable modem on the top floor of his house and a TiVo on the bottom, so wireless is important. I'm a computer nerd, so I'm quite happy to set up whatever I can get to work at my house, but when it comes to his house, I'd like to get something particularly reliable that I can simply install and forget. This has proven to be an elusive goal. So far, he's burned out his second D-Link DI-514. The first one's wireless didn't actually function, and after wrangling with tech support for hours, we concluded that it needed replacement. That was 11 months ago, and now the replacement has died.

My D-Link DI-624 has worked fairly well for the past 15 months (knock on wood), though it does occasionally drop and immediately restore the connection for reasons unbeknownst to me. I purchased it after a lightning strike disabled my very satisfactory Orinoco wireless access point, no-name hub, and Leviton router which I purchased thinking I might install it within the enclosure I have for ethernet wires. That router was okay, though the firewall rules were a bit tricky to manage.

I have read through reviews of dozens of routers but been unable to come up with what seems to be a suitable product for the purpose. To that end, I seek your wisdom and the results of your research and experience.

What model wireless router do you use?

How long have you been using it?

How satisfied are you with it?

What router(s) do you recommended to others and why?

I plan to make some kind of meaningful summary of the responses and add it to the wireless wiki

formatting link
along with a link back to this thread, and then procure one of the top items for my father.

Many thanks, Jim Scarborough

Reply to
ke4roh
Loading thread data ...

On 21 Aug 2006 19:09:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Unfortunately, wireless doesn't work well through floors and walls. You would probably be better off with networking by:

• Powerline
  • Phoneline
  • Coax

Better units are more expensive. How much are you willing to spend?

SonicWALL TZ-150 Wireless: Capable, solid, and robust. ZyXEL G-2000 Plus: Cut above the cheap low-end routers Linksys WRT-54GL + 3rd-party firmware: Good if you know your stuff

Contributions are always welcome.

Reply to
John Navas

On 21 Aug 2006 19:09:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

A word of warning: Poll results on Usenet aren't terribly valid -- the result is essentially an anecdotal popularity contest. Good products that aren't widely used (e.g., due to cost) get little attention. Very popular products tend to draw flames. Totally different new products tend to get tarred by the reputation of old products. And on and on. Very careful analysis and filtering is needed to produce anything useful.

Reply to
John Navas

I use a Linksys WRT-54GL with DD-WRT firmware.. 1001 widgets to play with! Remote admin too... handy to reboot the router from 600 miles away!

Reply to
Doz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.