Re: Scanning for WiFI like inSSIDer on iOS & Macbook Pro & iMac

The nice thing in those specs is that it lists the "Radio Output Power" at

- Radio output power: 32.5 dBm maximum (varies by country)

Hmmm... is thtat EIRP? Or is that just the radio sans antenna?

It doesn't say - but it's so high that it's probably EIRP.

Most home router antennas, AFAICR, are about 18dBi, so 32.5dBm seems pretty high (yeah, I know one is isotropic and the other is compared against 50mW but those are the figures that I have).

The maximum antenna and radio power and EIRP are listed here:

formatting link

But, as noted, it varies by country:

formatting link

Reply to
Horace Algier
Loading thread data ...

Dunno what he did - as we only noticed the android intruder as I was running through the setup with him showing him what was on 2.4GHz and what was on 5GHz (since I had advised turning off the 2.4GHz if he could get away with it).

Actually, there are rainbow tables so, there are two things you need to do with WPA/PSK-AES which is: a. Use a non-dictionary unique but non-identifying SSID (with _nomap) b. Use a good pass phrase (e.g., two subsequent president's names)

Remember, the lousy choice for a default salt for the passphrase means that every common SSID is *already* compromised in WPA2-PSK; so that's why I told him to use *both* of the above.

Reply to
Horace Algier

not required, and certainly not the nomap silliness.

just don't leave it as the default, e.g., 'linksys'.

that's what i said.

Reply to
nospam

Repeating a URL I already hand fed you doesn't add anything of value to the conversation.

You couldn't have been looking very hard since it's right at the top of the page, titles "Tech Specs".

I don't care; and it had zero bearing on my response to you.

Reply to
Jolly Roger

Then either he configured the router insecurely or he actually does have an Android device in his house unbeknownst to him. The fact that he calls his laptop an "iMac" makes one wonder about his awareness. Anyhow, this is a good example of how Apple's routers are more secure by design. Apple's routers force you to set a strong pass phrase for WiFi access. Not only that, but there is no default user name or password on Apple routers (which many users fail to ever change, leaving them open for attack), nor is there the standard web server-based configuration facility to attack.

Much better would be to advise him to set up his router securely, or better yet tell him to return that thing and get an Airport Extreme instead.

Reply to
Jolly Roger

Compare the quality and specificity of these Apple specs:

formatting link

Against typical Ubuiquti specs for the radio that I have on my roof:

formatting link

This is the Apple spec: Radio output power: 32.5 dBm maximum (varies by country)

This is the Ubiquit spec for "my" radio: Operating FrequencyWorldwide: 5170 - 5875 MHz USA: 5725 - 5850 MHz* Output Power27 dBm TX Power Specifications RX Power Specifications ModulationData RateAvg. TXToleranceModulationData RateSensitivityTolerance

Reply to
Horace Algier

The silliness is even worse than just "_nomap", since if you have Windows

10 nearby, you must also add "optout".

formatting link

So what is needed is SSID_optout_nomap, which, I agree, is ridiculous, but that's what Microsoft and Google require for you to opt out.

The Microsoft-mandated "optout" can exist anywhere in the SSID; but the Google-mandated "_nomap" must be at the end of the SSID.

Rainbow tables are a real thing. For example 1 million common passphrases for 1,000 common SSID is only

33GB of data.

You can get them by torrent here:

formatting link

Basically, if both your WPA2/PSK SSID and passphrase aren't essentially unique, then you're already hacked.

Reply to
Horace Algier

The silliness is even worse than just "_nomap", since if you have Windows

10 nearby, you must also add "optout".

formatting link

So what is needed is SSID_optout_nomap, which, I agree, is ridiculous, but that's what Microsoft and Google require for you to opt out.

The Microsoft-mandated "optout" can exist anywhere in the SSID; but the Google-mandated "_nomap" must be at the end of the SSID.

Rainbow tables are a real thing. For example 1 million common passphrases for 1,000 common SSID is only

33GB of data.

You can get them by torrent here:

formatting link

Basically, if both your WPA2/PSK SSID and passphrase aren't essentially unique, then you're already hacked.

Reply to
Horace Algier

i do

no i don't.

it's not 'needed'.

nobody said otherwise

so what.

all that matters is the passphrase.

Reply to
nospam

Fair enough. The "optout" isn't needed.

But I agree with you that we have to even *think* about adding "optout" and "_nomap" to our SSIDs in order to opt *out* of Microsoft and Google silliness respectively.

It should be opt *in* only. But it's not. Sigh.

Remember, the SSID is the *salt* to the encryption. So the SSID matters too. But yes, if your passphrase is unique (truly unique, as in not one of a million known passphrases!), then you're fine.

But is your passphrase *that* unique?

Reply to
Horace Algier

I never see quoted text. So, repeating the URL helps a person reading this who is hiding quoted text. Most newsreaders, of course, can easily flip between hiding quoted text and not hiding it - but I repeat as a courtesy to the reader who hides quoted text.

I didn't want to be mean to you since you were being nice, but you *do* realize that the spec you gave me *is* a purely M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G BS spec, and, as such, is essentially useless, right?

I mean, just *compare* the spec you gave which was a single line for *all* frequencies and *all* countries, against the spec for "my" radio on my roof, which lists not only the spec at *each* frequency, but also the transmit and receive spec, and the error range.

Your purely MARKETING spec (which is almost completely useless):

- Radio output power: 32.5 dBm maximum (varies by country)

A far more useful spec that is much closer to being "real":

-

formatting link

PS: They all lie. But boy oh boy, does Apple hide a *lot* more stuff than Ubiquiti does.

What you gave is the best Apple has - but it's something nobody who really cared about the output could actually use. Notice the difference in the Ubiquiti spec *before* you respond.

I never take the initiative on negativity. I always follow *your* lead & simply respond in kind. You should have noticed that by now.

Reply to
Horace Algier

Since they're all Apple, the Airport Extreme makes sense. It's hard to tell from the specs the power, but what they have for EIRP at

32dBm seems pretty good (it's maximum, of course, but, they all lie with specs).
Reply to
Horace Algier

no, because then few people would bother.

that's what i've been saying.

yes.

Reply to
nospam

then your newsreader is broken

Reply to
nospam

If your pass phrase isn't unique, you're doing it wrong. Duh.

Reply to
Jolly Roger

Horace Algier wrote

Yep.

Nope, its never that.

Nope, it will be with the antenna(s) it has.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I think my newsreaders work just like most newsreaders.

In all mine, I can hit "q" to toggle quoted text, just as I can hit "h" to toggle the header lines.

I almost never do.

I'm sure I'm not unique in that regard.

Reply to
Horace Algier

Thanks. I was being nice to JR because he was nice enough to show me the specs.

I *always* respond in kind.

Thanks for clarifying the spec was a maximum EIRP.

Reply to
Horace Algier

Fair enough. We agree.

I just hope *everyone* with a WPA2/PSK passphrase uses a unique one.

Reply to
Horace Algier

Apple routers work with devices of any make. And they are more secure, easier to configure, and get updated far longer in the product life cycle than most routers. Those are all good reasons.

Reply to
Jolly Roger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.