raw monitoring

How can you tell if a wireless card supports raw monitoring?

Reply to
bob
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@coolgroups.com hath wroth:

You run Ethereal and see if it can capture packets from other wireless devices.

formatting link
it can only capture packets to and from itself, it does NOT support raw mode, monitor mode, promiscuous mode, snoop mode, or whatever else it's called this week. The problem is described in the Ethereal FAQ at:
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Shouldn't folks be using wireshark currently

John

Reply to
John Mason Jr

John Mason Jr hath wroth:

Yes. It depends on your political position over the ownership of the Ethereal name by the authors former employer. I don't wanna go into the details. Ethereal is slightly dated, while Wireshark has had some recent bug fixes and additions. Give me a few years to get used to the new name.

Incidentally, if you wanna do promiscuous sniffing under Windoze, it's possibly easier to just buy an adapter and driver that supports promiscuous mode. See:

formatting link
$198. Basically, you're buying a non-Microsoft driver for a commodity USB wi-fi radio, that works with Ethereal/Wireshark, Angry IP, WinDump, Dice, etc. I would buy one if the USB device had an external antenna connector, but I guess not. They also sell a collection of Windoze network tools:
formatting link
$40 for one time download or $90 for a 1 year subscription. Ouch.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I don't know the backstory behind the name change.

I'll stick with linux based tools, I looked at the website but don't have any reason to stick with Windows for these types of tasks.

I realy don't see a reason to buy the toolkit when Live CDs like backtrack will do the job and more

John

Reply to
John Mason Jr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.