Range question

My home is on a golf course and I would like to be able to use my wireless network at the clubhouse.

I am probably about 500 yards from the clubhouse, maybe a little more. I was looking at the Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander, 802.11g. It seems to work like a repeater. If I put one outside my home and another outside of the clubhouse, would it likely reach? Or is just to great a distance?

Is there another wireless solution other than the Linksys?

Thanks!

Reply to
Shacky
Loading thread data ...

For that kind of distance you'll more than likely need some directional antennas. 500 yds *with unobstructed line of sight* is no problem at all with the right equipment, but with my limited experience with Linksys I can't answer your specific question. I have links working 24/7 at much greater distances using a little higher end stuff.

Reply to
Rôgêr

I'm a newbie at this. Could you give me a little more detail on the "higher end stuff"?

Thanks

Reply to
Shacky

You could get a couple of Linksys wap11s, buy a RP-TNC RF pigtail adapter cable for each (they come in different lengths) but I figured this using about 10 foot on each end. Put your waps inside and mount an antenna outside using the cable. An 8 to 12db directional patch antenna on each end should give you good reception. Run the Wap11 at your house as an AP Client (you wont be able to use it with your wireless stuff at home) and the one at the club as and AP. There are multple products you could use to do this, I dont thing the W G R expander could handle that though. The nice thing about the AP client mode is that you only need 2 devices, if you used bridges you would need 2 bridges and an access point.

my 2 cents

Reply to
Airhead

This is the brand I've used the most:

formatting link
can be purchased from several vendors such as
formatting link

They have outdoor equipment that does away with a lot of the headaches of making links like yours. There are other brands, such as Tranzeo that are also pretty reasonable in price. This type of equipment isn't the usual "OfficeMax" level but isn't way up into the stratosphere either.

You didn't exactly go over the details of what you are wanting to accomplish, but this equipment can do 500 yds standing on it's head (so to speak).

Reply to
Rôgêr

============ You will need more then just the Expander to reach out at that distance...directional antennas is the way to go and you still may need a repeater ....

I just hooked up a WRE54G expander this weekend and It took almost the entire weekend to get everything up and working... (200 feet distance BTW) ....

Had to upgrade the firmware in my router (WRT54G) to the "new" version.... after that I lost the connection on every single computer on the network ... So I had to reconfigure every computer to "see" the router ...

Now I have everything working BUT still need to spend some time today making sure ... one of the laptops will hook up using the lowest signal it finds IF I wander to the other side of the house ...need to find the Best place to place the Expander to avoid this etc...

And I have a little concern about those lights on the expander...(honest not one word in the manual about them..) the one light seems to be red more then it is blue...???? plus when using the software instead of pressing the auto configure button on the expander IS still a mystery to me...)... software could not find a wireless card in ANY of my 4 wireless computers....??????

I had to have spoken to at least 10 individuals at Tech Support...and I could only really understand ONE of them.....the other NINE had accents that made the conversation a chore... To their credit I was not on hold more then a minute on any of the calls however.. Wonder what luck I will have today with them because I still have some issues ....lol

Bob Griffiths.

Reply to
Bob G.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.