Range extension without antennas?

My nextdoor neighbor rents a cabin up north and the owner has another cabin a couple of lots away with an internet connection and a wireless AP, and he's offered the neighbor use of the connection.

Problem is that neither the AP nor the neighbor's PC have the ability to take an external antenna and the cabins are simply too far apart to make a connection.

Any suggestions for making a connection over this distance that doesn't cost a bundle, and is within the capabilities of a non-engineer?

The neighbor's PC is a MacBook of some sort; I don't know if it can take a PCMCIA WiFi adapter, although I suppose he could spring for a USB-connected one if it comes to that.

Reply to
Bert Hyman
Loading thread data ...

I have found that the usb anenna's that come with a cable so that you can put it up higher can pick up a signal from a little farther.

What you really need to do is establish where the signal disapears. If you have a laptop with wifi start from your cottage and walk toward the signal. This will at least tell you how far the signal is traveling.

I have noticed that Linksys has an external antena now that will withstand weather. Frankly if your going to get free interent access then buy it and give it to the nieghbour.

Reply to
steve

Avoid Belkin F5D 7050 series (they are not all the same) I've been through 3 DOA, Belkin support is clueless eventually them move you up to level 3 but to what good as level 3 never returns their calls.

I managed to screw around with the device and get it working but only half a**ed as it work only part time and has to be reset several times a day.

Reply to
NotMe

You could get a USB device for the Apple, I believe, if so, get one with an external antennna connector like this one:

formatting link
Or better yet and more flexible, use an ethernet AP/client adapter with replaceable antenna- something like this:

formatting link

And then this standard litany applies to both- or any adapter with replaceable antenna:

If the included dipole antenna does not have the needed range, consider adding a simple homemade reflector to the antenna to increase it's gain significantly.

formatting link
For even more gain, replace the stock dipole with an inexpensive directional antenna like this one:
formatting link
If you go with the combo AP/Client adapter, you can use it on either end of the connection. Or one on each end. Using it as an AP, you could connect to the existing router and put it in a window or in a case outside facing you. Again, increasing the gain of the antenna is a further option.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

I second that suggestion. And the usual line of sight requirement needs to be mentioned.

another Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

That looks like just the sort of thing he needs. I wasn't aware of things like this that had a client mode.

The price is certainly right.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Good, fast, cheap... pick two.

The most reliable way to do this would involve four radios. I say "radio" here because it could be as simple as an access point for some of it, client mode for one part and at least one "router". One at each location to provide local wifi coverage. Then two devices talking directly to each other as a connection link. This could be done as cheaply as you can find routers to do it. Using a couple of used WRT54G routers would be a fine solution, especially if you loaded the dd-wrt firmware on them.

That way you'd have normal wifi coverage in each location, and a dedicated link between the two sites. You can't really get away with anything less because of how the coverage needs differ. How you'd setup a router for local coverage is very different than for a point-to-point link.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Sounds like an on-line dating service...

Reply to
DTC

snip....

eeds differ. =A0How you'd setup a router for

As for how many radios at the internet source house, it depends on the situation. It's possible that putting the router on the side of the house (near a window perhaps) that faces your friends' place might give him just the coverage he needs and serve for a point to point link as well. But as Bill says, placement/antennas for local coverage and point to point are often at odds.

If the router placement at the internet source house is NOT conducive to a point-to-point link, then three radios ( the existing local one plus two linking) will certainly do the job, and four radios are needed only if you want WIFi coverage around your friend's house. If not, then an ethernet cable coming out of a client adapter will be very reliable. Adding an AP at your friend's onto that won't increase reliability, but rather convenience.

You need to provide a few more details- ou need to let us know: Is there line of sight between houses? How far apart are they? What is the wall construction of the two places- especially the source house? Is the existing router/AP currently located on the side of the house that faces your friend ? Will they be willing to let you play with their router placement in their house?

Routers and replacement firmware: Using free DD-WRT (or Tomato) replacement firmware will further increase your options and allow you to use routers and not just AP/clients to do the job. Not necessary, as the specific dedicated products are cheap enough. But if you do feel ok changing firmwares (not hard), then go this route for increasing reliability and for any future repurposing. In that case, I'd recommend a linksys WRT-54GL (L is crucial):

formatting link
Note: price went back up- this guy was discounted to $50 (shipped) last week when I ordered one.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

What if you ran a hardwired line from the back of your neighbors router over to your house? Not very expensive at all and you will have the full speed of the connection. Then run your own wireless router off it if you want multiple or wireless connections. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.