Range extender for BEFW11S4

Bite the bullet... and buy a new 802.11g router at the same time that you buy a repeater. Actually, select a router that can be configured for WDS, and get two of them.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson
Loading thread data ...

I am looking to extend the wireless range for my Linksys BEFW11S4

802.11B router. It is not cross compatible with range extenders from other companies, nor does it work with theier new range extenders from Linksys. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply to
gyrovague

You too?

I'd have to gum a biscuit.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

"bite the bullet" - Wish I had the teeth....-)

Reply to
gyrovague

Linksys made a wireless signal booster for the BEFW11S4 and the WAP11 it is a WSB24. It looks like the router but sets on top of the BEFF and interconnects. I knew someone who had one and it worked pretty good at extending the range. I noticed there are some on ebay for sale.

Reply to
Airhead

Reply to
Ed Williams

Had a similiar problem not to long ago. Also wanted to extend the range of a D-Link 802.11a/b router and purchased a new 802.11a/g/b AP that was capable of "repeater mode". Initial plan was to repeat the 802.11a and also bring 802.11g into the loop, but it wouldn't work since the "repeater mode" used WDS, which the router didn't support. Solved that problem by plugging the new AP directly into the router and purchasing yet another new AP of the same model. Being the same model, WDS worked fine and was able to repeat

802.11a and 802.11g. Definetly wasn't the most cost effective way to increase range, but did bring 802.11g into the loop (extended as well), which is being used by a media center now.

Anyway, not recommending to add two additional AP's, but while I was working the above problem came across the DWL-810AP+ quite frequently from google/deja searches. From what I came across in reading, the DWL-810AP+ is basically just a dumb "garbage in - garbage out" 802.11b range extender that isn't dependent on WDS or any type of proprietary scheme to repeat. If so, should work with any 802.11b SSID regardless of manufacturer. Might be worth checking out.

Cheers,

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Sorry, I meant the DWL-800AP+, not the DWL-810AP+. (The DWL-810AP+ is a wireless-ethernet bridge. Got a couple of them and they work great.) The DWL-800AP+ is the "Range Extender" that I was refering to. Actually, there are two models -- DWL-800AP+ (802.11b, 22Mbs) and DWL-800AP (802.11b,

11Mbs). Not sure if they can push 22 Mbs with Linksys's 802.11b or not, thinking thats a D-Link proprietary "turbo" thing.
Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.