range expansion/signal boosting

Steve said the following on 12/22/2004 4:59 AM:

I use a WAP54G in repeater mode. I understand this is just about equivalent to a WRE54G. The WAP54G has the advantage of customizable firmware (see HyperWAP at

formatting link
I had problems with very weak signal strength in upstairs rooms. This caused frequent drops of internet connection.

My experience with the WAP54G has been that it didn't do magic things to my wireless network, but it did give me more reliable wireless connections and that's about it. If you're after increased speed - forget it.

Three hints:

The WRE54G is only compatible with WAP54G, WRT54G and WRT54GS.

When setting up the connection between router and expander, follow the directions EXACTLY. No shortcuts.

You have to experiment to find the best location for the expander. After I got everything working, I tried 4-5 places and walked around the house with a laptop each time to see which place gave the best coverage.

Lance

Reply to
Lance
Loading thread data ...

When you install an extender, you need to check very closely that your AP is associating with the extender and not the router. It's easy to overlook that.

Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Hi - has anyone used (or have experience of) the Linksys wireless-G range expander ? From their website it looks like it's just what I'm after - keen to hear any feedback or recommended alternatives (weak/poor signal strength and dead spots in upstairs rooms).

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
f/f george

Thanks for the replies - seems like it's a bit hit and miss and probably not going to make a big difference.

Reply to
Steve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.