range choices - B vs G vs N vs mixed

A neighbor asked for some help in setting up their network and getting some upstairs computers networked to the WAP/Router located in the den.... a Dlink-615 -

Everything was already setup by their son, and should have worked ok - except for the den computer which still had the PPPoE client prior to purchasing the WAP/Router.

Anyway - I like to start at the least common point and build, so I turned the router from b,g,n to just b/g - And was thinking..... of RF signal coverage vs flat out speed, since the end connection is a 1.5mbit DSL line.

I was wondering the ramifications - ignoring compatibility - of choosing the different "modes" for the WAP...

SO - how is a b/g setting vs the b/g/n mixed mode setting I seem to recall some interaction in mixed modes, but can't remember if it was related to B/G or the N mode.

How do the different modes effect range ? What about going 20mhz compat vs 40mhz channel ?

Basically just thinking of all the "choices" in a real world situation where the "range" or "reach" of the WAP is probably more important than a local LAN speed demon, since the end connection is only a DSL line of 1.5mbit...

Reply to
ps56k
Loading thread data ...

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, ps56k chose the tried and tested strategy of:

When you say 'should', do you mean that some of it isn't working?

Whilst someone could give an answer, there are many variables involved so it's probably best just to test it and see what combination of settings work best.

Reply to
alexd

What are the computers/adapters using?; B/G/N?

berk

Reply to
TBerk

irrelevant - it's an academic discussion....

sort of like the old 56k modem transmission constellation patterns vs the quality of the copper lines, analog/digital conversions, etc -

Reply to
ps56k

Uh, why? Cables companies in the US are deploying 20Mbps+ connections. Internal uses (e.g., streaming HD, backups) can take advantage of

802.11n 2x2 rates and then some.

Apple is shipping all their Macs with at least 2x2 802.11n. HP and Dell seem to at least offer 802.11n (but number of spatial streams not apparent) even in their least expensive laptops. 802.11b is pretty much dead; even phones that have WiFi tend to have at least 802.11g.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Fenwick

[quote] SO - how is a b/g setting vs the b/g/n mixed mode setting I seem to recall some interaction in mixed modes, but can't remember if it was related to B/G or the N mode.

How do the different modes effect range ? What about going 20mhz compat vs 40mhz channel ?

Basically just thinking of all the "choices" in a real world situation where the "range" or "reach" of the WAP is probably more important than a local LAN speed demon, since the end connection is only a DSL line of 1.5mbit... [/quote]

Did you get any answers?

berk

Reply to
TBerk

802.11n with more than 1 spatial stream should help one get better rate at a given range. Range in free space may or may not be improved, depending on the difference in transmit power, receive sensitivity, and antenna gain. But if you're trying to cover a building with wireless, 802.11n should help get better rate.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Fenwick

Hi, Too many variables like radio chip set, how big is the house, etc. I have cascaded routers. One is only for a and n wireless access. One is for b/g access but nothing runs on -b mode.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, True but for Belkin N+ router, one can't use WAP on -n mode only set up. I had to toss that router for that. There may be more routers like that out there.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.