Radio Disabled Unless User is Local Administrator

Why is this? Why should a wireless NIC be any different to a wired one? Sure don't want users to be admins do I? Anyone else have this issue? Windows XP SP2 Belkin F5D7230 unit acting as WAP only. Belkin PC and PCI wireless NICs. Work fine as long as user is local administrator. Any ideas anyone?

Reply to
Bill
Loading thread data ...

You do not give enough info:

- what XP ? Home or pro ?

- Is the plain user with or without password ?

- The plain user was created before or after you installed the wireless software ?

Reply to
Claudio

Hi Claudio,

XP Pro

Non admin user has password and it doesn't matter if previously created or created after wireless NIC install: radio is disabled for both unless made members of Adminitrators security group

Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill

I had the same problem with a US Robotics stuff.

Consider:

- A normal user created with no password is a special case. It may be created without net access, even if you later enable password protection. What matter is the status of the account the first time you log. Be sure your plain account has net access rights.

- I solved my problem creating a plain account with password. Verified it had net access with cable. Then uninstalled the wireless software and removed the hw from the system and reinstalled it all. To be on the safe side I also allowed all rights to users to the folder containing the wireless software. At this point I had the thing working as normal user too.

Hope this helps.

-cba

Reply to
Claudio

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.