Radio Constantly Crashing

Hello all,

I am having problems with a Tranzeo TR-4500 constantly crashing requiring a hard reboot. It was doing this sporadically earlier but it has been happening more-so after we've increased the length of our (shielded) CAT5 runs from the ground to the radios to a bit less than 100m. There are three of these radios on the tower with the one that is crashing the busiest of the three (most # of CPE's, most amount of traffic). I'm wondering if anyone has had similar problems with these radios? One of our concerns was whether it is the POE adapters that do not have the ability to send a steady stream of power to the AP? The adapter is a 24V,

1A. There is a link from the bandwidth shaper on the ground to each of the radios at the top with each link being a bit less than 100m. The POEs are on the ground and they are the standard Tranzeo POEs.

Any ideas as to why the AP's keep crashing?

Thanks in advance, Kevin Brown

formatting link

Reply to
Kevin Brown
Loading thread data ...

Kevin Brown hath wroth:

Are you supplying power to these three radios individually, or over a common pair of wires?

1. Doing the math... CAT5 is 3 ohms per 100ft per conductor. 100 meters would be about 9 ohms. Double up on the conductors and the loop resistance (2 sets of wires) is 9 ohms.

I couldn't find any data on the TR-4500 on the new and almost useless Tranzeo web pile. More art and Javascribble than content. Data sheets on older products are totally missing.

formatting link
you have the required voltage and current for the TR-4500 handy? If so, do the Ohms Law calculation to see if you get enough voltage to the TR-4500 (or supply the numbers and I'll do it).

Also, don't assume that your 24V 1A power supply is supplying exactly

24 Volts. Under load, it might be considerably less. It seems like this should work but Tranzeo FAQ weasels out of the calculations by supplying this piece of useless manure: "If you are running Less Than 100ft of Cat5e cable to your TR-5800 series radio, a 18v adapter should be used. If you are running Greater Than 100ft of Cat5e cable, 24v adapter will be needed."

Got some real numbers for the TR-4500? You may have to measure the operating current as the other data sheets don't show any power requirements.

1. I've had some nasty RF problems with home made PoE systems at polluted mountaintop sites. The major culprits are TV and FM xmitters. Also 930MHz paging transmitters. I've had to do some shielding and bypassing at the AP end on the tower to keep the RF out. I don't think the AP shielding did anything useful, but ferrite beads and bypass caps on the PoE leads did wonders. I recently installed overpriced shielded CAT5, which seemed to also help. Oh, the symptoms were a very high error rate and erratic loss of connections. No hangs or crashes.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.