Radiation from Wireless LAN vs Bluetooth PAN

How do you arrive at this?

O focurse we are much closer to these 'weak' sources.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico
Loading thread data ...

Well indeed learn a little something new every day, I thought all of Marconi's stuff was down below 160 meters. That'll teach me.

In my case I'm miles from such transmitters (well the local cell tower is closer, but still some distance). But my wifi AP is just a few feet away and my laptop even closer...

Well what good are ya'

Has me completely stumped. Was hoping you had at least heard of such, thanks though.

Have you seen this:

formatting link

Reply to
Rico

No they go to the purse strings (Congress and the fellow that hires the regulators, the President)

ALL are if they want to serve more then one term.

It is vastly more then you seem to think. Look at the news just yesterday. Congress raises cane in the media about high gas prices, Bush rolls back federal regulation regarding additives etc in gasoline. Politics!!!!! This is an election year. Again not some conspiracy, pure politics, and the regulators take a back seat to electoral necessity. While republicans really can't have much impact on gas prices right now, they fear the public will blame the party in power. Politics!!!!

You seem to live in a very sheltered world. Everything in government in the US is about politics and getting elected/re-elected. And money is the key to those goals.

Mobile phones aren't that old; what about 20 years, and even then only recently in our pockets and the xmitter next to our head. (Yes I've seen the old clunky car phones of the 1960's)

Reply to
Rico

I thought (wrong it seems) that they shut these towers down when the fellows wer eup there working on them. Not just the rf, but the general electricity thing. Live and learn.

Had your cataracts done yet ?

Reply to
Rico

Science.

Reply to
John Navas

Neither Congress nor the President have much to do with hiring regulators, and more importantly those that do the research on which regulation is based, particularly in the areas of health and safety.

I know some personally, and while it is true that they have to raise funds, they are most definitely not "for rent".

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

And that's the point. This is just a tempest in a teapot. Nothing much is happening. Bush *didn't* actually "[roll] back federal regulation regarding additives etc in gasoline". According to the Chicago Tribune:

Analysts say that if environmental standards for gasoline additives were relaxed nationwide, gas prices could drop significantly. But the White House is enabling regulators to waive environmental rules only regionally, with the aim of averting local shortages of gas. The Environmental Protection Agency says waivers will be granted case by case.

The move to ethanol as a cleaner additive to gasoline and a difficult transition away from the additive MTBE--which the government found was polluting water--have led to shortages of fuel in some parts of the country. Only Pennsylvania has sought a waiver of the rules.

Bush "seemed to be indicating he wanted the EPA to grant waivers where there have actually been shortages," said Andrew Weissman, senior managing director at FTI Consulting in Washington, calling a national waiver "very tempting from the standpoint of the White House."

The president has authority to relax rules for only 20 days at a time without additional congressional approval.

In other words, temporary, case by case, and up to the states and EPA.

Reply to
John Navas

rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) hath wroth:

Nope. The advertising revenue from the broadcast stations is worth more than than the tower worker. Same with the "mission critical" public safety communications. With high power broacast transmitters, tower technicians are required to wear RF protection suits:

formatting link
of them as a portable sauna.

Actually, broadcast stations are fairly forgiving about reducing the transmit power during tower maintenance. This may involve a night time climb, but is possible. The problem is that the tower is shared with other services. The broadcast stations tend to not so forgiving when working on someone elses antennas.

Incidentally, the leading manufacturer of RF exposure meters is Narda.

formatting link
do have personal exposure monitors:
formatting link
Incidentally, the local public safety tower in Santa Cruz had an interesting incident. The tower is shared with several cellular providers. For some reason, the tower climbers decided that they would do a night climb one evening. Using portable lighting, up the tower they went. Unfortunately, they didn't bother to notify the nearby PSAP (public safety answering point), which soon received a huge number of calls, from all over the area, claiming that "space aliens", "flying terrorists", or "mysterious lights" were flying around the tower area. Once we have safety nailed, we can work on the other forms of stupidity. Interesting, the calls kept coming even after they were done working and long gone.

I'll ask my cat when he drifts back inside.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

John Navas hath wroth:

The President appoints the chair and 5 members of the FCC. The usual formula is to appoint an equal number of Republic and Democrat commissars, or the Senate would never approve the appointments. The current lineup is composed of former lobbyists, former industry representatives, campaign cronies, and members of Washington law firms. In general, they tend to vote in a manner favoring their past associations.

Many years ago, I attended a local restaurant owners association meeting where an un-named local politician was the guest speaker. The association needed some legislative relief and hoped to have the speaker sponsor some legislation on their behalf. The very first words out of this politicians mouth were something like "I'm here to see how much you're going to contribute to my re-election campaign". It was downhill and quid pro quo from that point on. They may not be officially for rent, but the implications seem to point in that direction.

Perhaps you can explain why the former FCC chair, Michael Powell, was literally pushing BPL (broadband over power lines) despite substantial opposition, considerable evidence of interference, and documented proof that the various trails were not meeting FCC radiation specifications? If his opinions were based on staff reports or proper engineering studies, he should have dropped BPL.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

I think that's overly harsh. Regardless, you seem to be missing my point, which is that essential staff and research work is done by others that aren't subject to appointments. Ask anyone with real Washington experience and they undoubtedly tell you how hard it is for political appointees to influence those institutions (for good as well as for ill).

One apocryphal story doesn't a case make. As a counter-example, I personally know well a person that's serving in the State Assembly, and he's unquestionably a person of high integrity. Does he listen and respond to the concerns of his contributors? Sure. But he also listens and responds to the concerns of ordinary voters, and makes them his first priority.

I don't agree. Like anyone else (including you and me), he's entitled to his own opinion, even when that opinion doesn't seem to be well-founded. It's quite possible that he was pushing BPL as a way to inject more competition into the market, hoping that obstacles could be overcome with more effort. It's dangerous to leap to conclusions, especially with so little to go on.

Reply to
John Navas

Or science fiction -- the more likely

Reply to
Rico

Ah life behind rose colored glasses.

Ah rose colored glasses. I too know several Congress critters, grew up and went to school with a US Senator, he is not dishonest, but if you think being invited to play Augusta and free meals and contributions don't have an impact on their view point... All I can say is it must be nice to be blind to the real world of legislative egos and the need to get re-elected.

Hmm politics over ruling the regulators, interestingly in your own rebuttal posting. Did you actually read this?

In other words, politics trumps federal regulations. Again no great evil conspiracy, just a simple problem, the party in power is down in the polls, they fear they will be blamed for the current pump prices and want to be seen as doing something about it. If this were last year and not an election year, I doubt Bush would have done this. And next year he when prices surge again, he won't.

Reply to
Rico

Hmm, explain then the complaints coming out of NASA regarding the current administration surpressing reports on the subject of climate change (globale warming)? Why is the definition of wetlands being changed? Do you think some new science has come along and found out that wetlands aren't wet? Of course not, it is politics. Can't have snail darters getting in the way of that new sub-development.

And will never rise about state legislator. (why because he will never be able to raise the money it takes to move beyond neighborhood politics)

Ah, politics!!!

Hmm, injecting his opinion, isn't that POLITICS????

Rose colored glasses again. It must be nice to live in your world with the Easter Bunny and all the trappings...

Reply to
Rico

formatting link
Broadcast Supplement:

formatting link
Ham Radio Supplement:

formatting link
Cellular Supplement:

formatting link

I too was concerned with the RF radiation coming from my wireless components. I purchased a router and wireless cards (Belkin, Netgear) that allow me to throttle back the power levels. I found that within my home I could operate at 12.5% of the maximum power levels and still maintain a good solid connection and transfer rate. This not only gives me comfort that I am mitigating any potential effects of RF exposure, but I am reducing the likelihood of a "war driver" finding my signal from the street (WPA2/AES also helps my comfort level).

Reply to
Anonymous

Politics will always have some influence, one way or the other, our system of government being what it is. But that influence is relatively small in the great scheme of things, or we wouldn't even be hearing from the NASA whistle-blowers and the like.

He's actually been doing very well.

I think it's more a matter of being realistic and pragmatic. Have a nice day.

Reply to
John Navas

Like other posters that have replied, I also have RF hazard fences around all of my AP's. In addition, all the AP's also have rotating beacons.

I watch NASA/NOAA's Space Weather web site religiously, so at the onset of a solar storm I can burrow myself underneath lead blankets in the basement.

I will have male children, damn it. (Reference to an Urban Legend here.)

Seriously, all the hype about the "dangers" to low power RF is over-reaction

-- unless, of course, you are a lawyer. Thats the problem I have with these "studies". They are all so damn biased because there is potential mountains of cash to be grabbed, attracting lawyers like flies on shit.

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.