radiated power limit?

channel 1.

systems? Yes, the max allowed for a point to mulitpoint radiator is 36dbm or 4 watts (US). Seeing how the wag54g operates at about 32mw, anyone around with a stronger radio could create significant interference and be well within the law.

www,netstumbler.com can monitor APs and signal, has a nifty little signal to noise realtime graph.. Monitor your AP to find out what yours is then compare it to the other.

Sounds like you may be a good candidate for 802.11a and use your wag for a honeypot

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

I have a Linksys WAG54G wireless adsl router (using 1.02.7 firmware) + WUBS54G (using version 4 drivers) operating over a distance of about 50 metres. I have tried operating on various channels, and am currently on channel 1. I use the Linksys connection utility, not Microsoft Wireless Zero configuration.

Sometimes this works well - the remote PC can connect to the Access Point and to the internet ok. At other times the remote PC can connect to the Access Point but not the internet, and sometimes it can't even see the Access Point.

My system seems to have problems when a VERY strong signal (from elsewhere) comes up on channel 6 at random intervals. The intermittent nature of the competing signal makes it look like another WLAN rather than a cordless phone, microwave oven, etc. Even when I operate over a 2 metre range the competing system can still come up stronger than my signal. I'm wondering if the competing system is radiating excessive power.

Q1). Are there limits to the allowed radiated power for these systems? Q2). Is there any way of estimating the radiated power of nearby links?

Reply to
nospam

Thanks. I'm in the UK, presumably we have similar limits?

Netstumbler doesn't support my WUSB54G on win98SE, I'll try it on winXP. I've heard NDIS drivers mentioned, do I need them to make Netstumbler work with WUSB54G?

Airhead wrote:

Reply to
nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.