Quick question

I've got the following set up....

WAN | ADSL Modem with 4 port wired Router | | | PC1 | D-Link Wireless Router | USB Wireless adaptor | PC2

For some reason my D-Link Router is unreliable. It works well after switch on but within mins is becomes painfully slow to surf the web on PC2. PC1 is fine and so is the wireless link it seems.

The thing is I haven't got time right now to investigate so I'd like to replace the D-Link Router with a cheap wireless access point so that in effect PC2 is connected straight into the router in the ADSL Modem.

Is that possible?

Colin

Reply to
CWatters
Loading thread data ...

Why not get an ADSL modem with a wireless router built in. A great one I use is

formatting link
netgear one.
formatting link

Reply to
hackman_3vilGuy
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

You don't want a router behind a router. Either configure the D-Link as an access point, or disable its DHCP and hook it to the ADSL modem+router with one of the D-Link LAN ports, not the WAN port, which effectively makes it into an access point.

Reply to
John Navas
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

I generally recommend against all-in-one solutions. Separate boxes give you more flexibility, which can be important down the road (e.g., being able to keep the wireless if you switch broadband services).

Reply to
John Navas

Already got a good wired ADSL modem/router and don't have lot of time right now to learn and configure a new one. Anyway I'm sure it's just something I've set up wrong as the D-Link worked fine when it was used in a previous configuration. Just need the time to investigate.

Reply to
CWatters

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.