Questions about the free T-Mobile Personal CellSpot 4G LTE Signal Booster

After complaining about my 4G/LTE signal strength, T-Mobile sent me, this two-piece CELL-Fi signal booster cellular signal extender called a "T-Mobile Personal CellSpot 4G LTE Signal Booster":

formatting link

Following the printed instructions, I set the "window unit" in an upstairs window, and it got LTE and two bars; and then I put the "coverage unit" as far away as I could, and it got a number of "9" (whatever that is supposed to mean).

formatting link

My main question is whether this will work if I take it with me when I travel, or if it only works where I live (T-Mobile said they "set it up" for where I live, but that might just be for 911 purposes?). They also say I have to tell them if I move it, which implies that it will work anywhere. Does it?

My secondary question is whether I'm now feeding all my neighbors off of this Cell-Fi signal, if they're also on T-Mobile, and if that's a good or bad thing. (If it were my WiFi router, that would be a bad thing.)

My tertiary question is what the "9" literally means on the re-transmitter? The T-Mobile instructions say you want as large a number as possible, and, it further says that smaller apartments might end up with smaller numbers, but it doesn't say WHAT that "9" is supposed to be indicating.

Since I didn't ask for this unit (all I wanted was better signal), can you tell me some of the implications (good or bad) of using it at my home?

Reply to
Bob Pack
Loading thread data ...

It may be a 911 issue, or it may be that they've set it up to work with a specific cell station near your house.

Could be. But as long as you get good bandwidth it doesn't matter.

Probably a dumbed down quality of signal scale. 0 bad. 9 best. (or 10 best, or whatever).

Power consumption and yet another ugly widget in the house.

Reply to
Alan Browne

That's why I had asked. a) Is T-Mobile locking the Cell-Fi device to a specific tower? b) Or, do they warn not to move it just because of the 911 location?

I was just wondering if the Cell-Fi (Cel-Fi?) repeater was helping the neighbors, or not. Does anyone know if Cell-Fi extenders only work for my phone line, or if they work for everyone in the vicinity?

I wonder what the range is. I guess I could test it by going outside and walking the perimeter, with and without the Cel-Fi powered up.

Actually, it can't be that, because the instructions say to get as far away as possible, where the number will be larger.

So, it's not signal strength most likely. It's more likely some measure of DISTANCE, which, I guess, turns into COVERAGE.

But, it would be best not to guess and find someone technically knowledgeable in this (I'm not, and it's hard to get expert tech support at T-Mobile as you can imagine).

I'm wondering if there are any security holes that I'm unaware of.

Reply to
Bob Pack

Call them and ask. Search. Good luck!

We await your test report.

So it's still a quality scale. Not to belabour it but some receivers don't receive well when the power received is too high. That's why they want you further away. The high number is help you get far away enough.

Perhaps. I think it's more akin to making sure the receiver is not swamped.

Why do you need such detail? It is interesting to be sure - but how will that help you?

Shouldn't be. From your phone to the tower, content (voice, data) is encrypted (and v-v). This thing is just passing the signal between the phone and the nearest tower.

Reply to
Alan Browne

I had thought that I wasn't the only one here who has any experience with these things, as these are very basic questions.

BTW, think about your suggestion.

Do you realize how many hours (days maybe?) you'd spend on the phone with T-Mobile trying to get anyone who actually even understands the question, let alone who can give you an answer?

It would be almost impossible, in my opinion, given the support level of T-Mobile that I am experienced with getting, to even get to the

3rd level of technical support, which is the *only* level that will even understand the questions.

They'll just say they don't know the answer, which will be true.

You have a far (far far far) higher opinion of the support available by dialing 611 than I do.

If *you* don't know the answer, that's fine (as I don't know the answer either). But, someone MUST know the answers.

Reply to
Bob Pack

On 2/16/2015 7:07 PM, Bob Pack wrote: ...

How about asking in

formatting link
too?

Reply to
Ant

But they don?t necessarily read here.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Well, the NSA would never consider installing an eavesdropping kit in a voice communications device - would they?

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

No they are not. You're asking about things that are between the phone and the cell station. These are not things that people commonly have or use.

We don't have the specs (there's a hint: look at the model numbers on the widgets and go looking for the specs or product sheets).

They ain't scrambling to say, now are they?

You want to know these things. You seek them out. But don't be disappointed when you don't conveniently have your answers plopped in your lap.

Reply to
Alan Browne

This is true. Very true. In fact, you're basically the only one with the guts to say what you thought of the issue.

So, I appreciate that conversation, and, I agree. Nobody really knows how these things work so they won't be able to answer my questions.

I'll learn the answers, over time, but, it won't be coming from here, so, as you suggested, I'll try other avenues.

Thanks!

Reply to
Bob Pack

As I said, try looking up the spec from the models of the widgets you have.

Reply to
Alan Browne

.. or, indeed, the OP could *tell us* what the specs and model numbers of the widgets are. Someone here may be familiar with the equipment under a different guise (it's a fair bet that T-Mobile are just rebadging some generic piece of kit from our friends in China) ... but you can't expect everyone reading here to know which bit of tech are being shipped by T-Mobile ... possibly in another country.

Cheers, Daniel. In the UK, where AFAIK T-Mobile don't supply such kit.

Reply to
Daniel James

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.