Question: Wireless connection successful but cannot connect to server

I have a Netgear 802.11b wireless router. I have one computer connecting successfully using a Netgear MA111 wireless USB 802.11b adaptor and this works fine. I am now connecting a second computer using a Netgear WG111 wireless USB 802.11g adaptor. All indications are that the WG111 connects to the router fine. I receive the solid green light and the Smart Wizard indicates a 100% signal. However, when I attempt to access the Internet, I get "cannot connect to server". Now the odd thing is that if I connect to the Internet using the wired connection and then plug in the wireless adaptor and remove the wire, it will maintain the internet connection and access successfully.

I am using Comcast as an ISP and running Windows 98.

Is there a setting that I am missing?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks Lou

Reply to
daddio
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Doug Jamal

CORRECTION: Make sure that MAC address filtering IS NOT blocking the WG111 from having access.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

I am using Black Ice. I shut it down and then stopped it from loading at startup. My results are the same. Any other suggestions would be apprexiated.

Reply to
daddio

Let's start from the beginning. I'm assuming you're using Windows XP. Go to the command prompt, and type: ipconfig If you don't know how to get to the command prompt, simply click on START, then RUN and type in the letters "cmd" (without the quotes). When the command prompt appears, type "ipconfig" (without the quotes). This will give you the ip address of your WG111 and the IP address of your gateway/router. Unless you've made changes to the IP address, you should see something similar to 192.168.... If you see 169.254.... then you have a misconfiguration. In that case, make sure the latest drivers are loaded, check the spelling of the SSID in the router and in the card's utility, make sure the wep keys or wpa-psk keys are exactly the same on the router and card, etc. It would be much easier to simply reset the router to it default settings and attempt to access the internet. Let me know what happens and we'll go from there.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.