Question: Wi-Fi / Wireless Internet in Austin

I'm currently paying $79.99, actually $85 after various charges, for Verizon Wireless broadband. Is there a better (reliable but cheaper) high-speed Wi-Fi or Wireless Internet deal in the Austin area (preferably Texas or wider if possible).

I'm leery about relying on free Wi-Fi, since it may constrain where I use my computer.

Thanks,

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Gold, MBA
Loading thread data ...

T-Mobile has wireless internet + wifi hot spots for $30/mo on top of a voice plan. T-Mobile is GSM (vs Verizon & Sprint's CDMA) and their wireless data is GPRS/EDGE, which is not as fast as thd CDMA offerings, but I find it usable for checking mail and the random web browsing, though I wouldn't try and stream video or use maps.google.com over it.

I use it primarily on my Treo for fetching my mail and reading news sites though I can also hook it up to my laptop via bluetooth and get access to the net on the computer via my phone.

You also get access to T-Mobile's wifi hotspots, which are in places like Starbucks, etc.

Reply to
Mike Parson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.