question reg. privacy & spying on wireless net

sorry for asking this here, but...

lets say there's 2 people living in a house. they get wireless DSL internet. person A has the wireless setup in their room and the main account setup on their computer.

person B, has their computer in a whole other room and just links onto the wireless signal and accesses the net via their own browser.

could person A track the activities (without in depth software)of person B? even chat logs like on MSN messenger?

is there an administration setup already on the account that would allow this? every website and even find out passwords?

i am concerned thatperhaps this is being done to me.

thankyou.

Reply to
cozmicflatfish
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com hath wroth:

You're suppose to appologize after asking, not before.

Yes. It would take some effort and knowledge, but it's possible. In general, you setup a wireless sniffer to capture packets. Computer A can certainly hear the access point. If computer A can hear computer B directly, then it can capture both sides of computer B's communications. It's just like a wiretap. Since the entire wireless system uses a single encryption key, the encryption key is already known.

In such an arrangement, there's no individual security. You only have network security and that's limited to the WEP/WPA encryption key. Everything else can be sniffed, recorded, and analyzed. I have tools that let me recreate messages based on the IP sequence numbers. No big deal.

If computer A is running Windoze, don't worry much about it. If it's running Linux, be concerned. If there are Linux LiveCD's around, start seriously worrying.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.