Question re Linksys wireless router not broadcasting SSID

Hi,

I have a very simple network at home with a Linksys WAG54G router, a couple of PCs connected to it via Cat 5 cable and a wireless networked laptop with a Belkin 54G wireless PCMCIA card.

Everything works fine, except when I try to do anything with security. So, the first thing I try is to have the router not broadcast its SSID, but as soon as I do that the laptop cannot connect to the network at all, no matter what I do. Does anyone know why this is and what I might be able to do to make it work?

Thanks,

Charlie.

Reply to
charlie.smithers
Loading thread data ...

Thanks - that makes sense. I was thinking about using WEP - sorry to ask such an ignorant question, but what is WPA? Is it an alternative to WEP? I tried setting up WEP a while back, but never managed to get it to work...

Cheers,

Charlie

Reply to
charlie.smithers

Hi Tony,

I've been saving on the router, but I've not saved a profile on the laptop - it sounds like that might be quite useful to do. Could you give me a quick pointer as to how I find the WiFi management utility in XP? The only thing I have is the little Linksys green icon in the system tray, which doesn't seem to let me save profiles at all...

Cheers,

Charlie

T> I am assuming that you are selecting "save" on the router after each change

networked

security.

Reply to
charlie.smithers

That's great - thanks Tony and Neill for your pieces of advice. I shall work on what you've given me and no doubt should be able to get things working soon.

Thanks!

Charlie.

T> Oops! Just re-read your message and noticed that you have a BELKIN PCMCIA

properties

profiles. From

recommended

Reply to
charlie.smithers

As the doctor told his patient, "Stop doing that."

The first and last true security measure for wireless networking is encryption. Use the strongest you can, preferably WPA. Hiding SSID is pathetically weak as a security measure. Readily available wireless cracking software can discover a hidden SSID within seconds; but even the expert cracker will be significantly slowed down by encryption, and the casual snooper will be blocked entirely.

Disabling SSID broadcast has a potential downside: a neighbor might set up a wireless network on the same channel you're using, interfering with your signal. If he also decides to hide his SSID, neither one of you will be able to see what's causing the problem unless you use wireless cracker's tools.

On a public highway, you want to see and be seen. Leave SSID broadcast on.

Reply to
Neill Massello

I am assuming that you are selecting "save" on the router after each change to the configuration.

Have you set up a saved profile on the laptop WiFi management utility (either the XP or other version) with the correct SSID stored? This profile should be selected on the laptop in order to connect to the router.

Reply to
Tony Doherty

Double click on the Linksys green icon which should launch the Linksys Management Utility (or else find it under "start\programs").

One of the tabs on the screen should allow the creation of profiles. From memory the first profile saved should be called "default". Once the profile is created and saved then "connect" using the connect button with this profile highlighted.

Get this feature working first before trying out the further recommended security measures.

Reply to
Tony Doherty

Oops! Just re-read your message and noticed that you have a BELKIN PCMCIA card. Therefore, the Linksys utility indicated may not work correctly with this card. Is there a Belkin utility loaded on the laptop as well? Otherwise you will have to delve a little deeper into Win XP Wireless LAN properties in order to achieve much the same thing.

However, I recommend using the management utility supplied with the card (may be available from the Belkin website) as this should be easier to configure and will allow for the setting up of multiple profiles should the laptop be moved out and about to connect with other networks.

Reply to
Tony Doherty

WEP stands for Wired Equivalent Privacy and WPA stands for Wi-Fi Protected Access. Both are standard methods of encrypting traffic on a wireless network, with WPA being the newer and better of the two.

Getting some form of encryption working should be your first priority in regard to the security of your wireless network. The other so-called security measures -- SSID hiding and MAC filtering -- are pitiful substitutes for encryption.

If you're new to wireless networking, you might find Engst and Fleishman's Wireless Networking Starter Kit helpful: .

Reply to
Neill Massello

Charlie,

WEP hasn't been secure for years, and can be hacked very quickly. WPA is by far a better choice. Any wireless hardware that doesn't, and can't, support WPA should be discarded.

Here's the tool:

formatting link
Here's the discussion:
formatting link

Reply to
Chuck

WPA is better, and easier to configure, but is only available for newer routers and adapters. My Orinoco didn't play WPA.

Make sure all of your devices (and intended guests' devices) are WPA-capable.

Reply to
dold

I have played with this quite a bit and come to the conclusion that most, if not all, drivers (especially those on XP) require SSID broadcast. So, as the other posts indicate, turn on SSID broadcast, but enable WEP, or, if you have it, WPA. If you have a high risk situation (lots of exposure, lots to lose if someone cracks in) then by all means upgrade equipment to support WPA. If your router is in a suburban area with a low likelihood that anyone else can get adequate signal strength, and you wouldn't mind sharing with a neighbor if they did, then keep the WEP.

Reply to
Moshup Trail

Windows xp will connect to a wireless ap Without boadcasting a ssid But you do need to set up a new network with the ssid typed in.. note, that i did have some problems connecting/ viewing ap without ssid's with spicific wi-fi cards..

Reply to
Ryan

Microsoft has documented an issue with its Wireless Zero Configuration

and hidden SSID.

formatting link

Reply to
Esquire

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.