Question on wireless signal and connecting via Ethernet cable to laptop...

This is a very basic question but perhaps there is a registry hack or something or CMD file I could run. Appreciate replies, advice

Set up a used laptop for my daughter. It is an IBM Thinkpad.

I have a wireless network. Works fine.

If I plug laptop directly to router via Ethernet then I found I have to inactivate (disable) the Wireless connection for the Ethernet to work. Else wireless is still operating.

Is there a better way around this, perhaps command file to click on turn on or off wireless on laptop?

Thank you Patty

Reply to
pattyjamas
Loading thread data ...

On 12 Oct 2006 13:00:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in :

Something's wrong -- both should be able to operate at the same time. More specifics please (hardware, configuration, software, etc.).

Get it working properly.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks John. I ask because I read this:

formatting link
even though I am not at a University thought it could apply.

I always enjoyed reading info on your web site over the years.

This being our first wireless product (other than a SlimDevices Squeezebox and Tivo) I wondered if both signals were present which would take precedence? And if one signal (wireless) was not of sufficient strength would it fall back on the Ethernet or vice versa? It is an older IBM Thinkpad R40 with Windows XP Pro and all drivers and patches up to date.

Thank you John Sincerely Patty

___

John Navas wrote:

Reply to
pattyjamas

Ahhh ... I misunderstood. Sorry! You want to use Ethernet in the laptop while the laptop wireless is active? That issue was covered in this thread:

On 12 Oct 2006 15:32:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
pattyjamas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.