Question on creating multiple wireless networks

I have a DSL modem connection coming into my house and I'd like know if it is possible to create 2 wireless networks off of that single incoming DSL connection. I would like one network for the that would be for my use and I would like it to be encrypted and I would like the other network to be for the kids (or their friends...everyone has a laptop these days) to use and I would like it to be unencrypted. I want my encrypted network to be separate, is that possible and what equipment is recommended?

Reply to
brianlearning
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1115160965.761406.218030 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

you'd need a cisco aironet or something like it to do that...

multiple ssid's aren't supported in most consumer products.

are they?

smowk

Reply to
Smowk

Smowk wrote in news:Xns964BCA348631ASmowkieBandit@216.196.97.131:

I guess the answer lies in how the "two wireless networks" are defined.

It's trivially easy to have two separate access points (or a wireless router + additional access point) with different SSIDs and encryption. In fact, I do it [in my case, to segregate 802.11b and

802.11g traffic].

The simple case is to have a single subnet behind the router. However, if you want to run two separate subnets, then you will need a second router at the border. It becomes fractionally more complex, but given that resources are not shared between the networks, there isn't really a problem.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

I believe you are correct, most SoHo level WAPs don't support multiple SSIDs.

And although I happen to like Cisco Aironets (I've been installing

1200s and 1100s recently and I've been quite happy with them), I'd have to say that for the money, it would be cheaper to just buy two SoHo level units like LinkSys, Netgear, DLink, Belkin, whatever.

You can likely get two of them for around $100 total, where a Cisco

1100 will run you around $500 (higher for the 1200). You may be able to get an older Cisco on ebay or the likes much cheaper then new.

If you buy two SoHos all you have to do is setup each on their own channel, each have their own SSID, and configure your computers to use the secure one.

-chris

Reply to
chris

chris wrote in news:030520052257517640% snipped-for-privacy@mythtech.net:

chris' suggestion is probably your best bet

Reply to
Smowk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.