question about WISPs

There was a slashdot.org article talking about WISPs a while ago. The article linked to wispdirectory.com which contains the following entry:

formatting link
I go to the website linked to from that URL and... if it's an ISP, I sure can't tell from their website. If I click on products, I see that they sell hardware with which wireless hotspots can be created, but nothing about them actually providing internet connectivity.

Am I just not understanding what a WISP is or is the above company not, in point of fact, a WISP, despite their inclusion in wispdirectory.com?

Reply to
yawnmoth
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

huh ?

formatting link

-
Reply to
ps56k

A WISP is a "wireless internet service provider". It's just like wired internet service provider, which connects to your house via telco (DSL), cable modem, T1, ISDN, dialup, or other wired connections. WISP's provide all the same internet service, but the "last mile" connection is via some form of wireless. WISP tend to predominate in rural areas, which are miserably served by the telcos and cable companies:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.