Question about IP address

I'm behind a router that provides NAT, so all my internal addresses are

192.168.x.x. When I look at the WAN address assigned to my router (in the router's config utility) it shows what looks like the dynamically assigned public IP address from my ISP (24.x.x.x). However, if I bypass my router and connect my computer directly to my cable modem, my computer's IP address is NOT the same number as that listed in the router config. It's a completely different number, such as 66.x.x.x.

What's going on there?

jm

Reply to
JM
Loading thread data ...

When you connect to your ISP (Comcast?) the ISP's router assigns a dynamic IP address to the MAC address of your router. When you connect directly with your computah, it has a different MAC address. Therefore, the ISP will assign a different IP address to your computers MAC address.

You can see the effect if you go to the "clone MAC address" page on the router. If you change the MAC address of the routers WAN port, it will get a new IP address from the ISP.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.