Question about bridge to WAP11

Hello all,

I have posted about my troubles creating a bridge between a cable modem in one room and my wired network in another room before and I've tried another solution that did not work. I have a WRT54G v.5 Linksys router connected to the cable modem and a Linksys WAP11 connected to the wired network. I have tried every combination of configuration and they do not communicate to each other. Is the problem the WRT54G v.5? How does one go about getting a v.3 or earlier of that device? Will another WAP11 enable me to link the modem to the wired network wirelessly? Or is the only solution to invest several hundred dollars in equipment that will be obsolete in a couple of years?

I also find it mind-boggling that my situation is not typical. Maybe it is and I just don't know how to search newsgroups...

Thanks in advance for any response, Buck snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
buck.turgidson
Loading thread data ...

I currently have 3 assorted WAP11 mutations:

formatting link
to a WRT54G v3 running as an access point in our neighborhood WLAN. Other than the initial setup and finding a path through the forest, no real problems. I had a hell of a time with lockups on the original Atmel based WAP11 (1.0 and 1.1) but that was apparently cured in the later versions.

Have you tried the WAP11 "client mode"? The catch is that you either must know the MAC address of the wireless port on your WRT54G in advance, or use the site survey tool that's buried somewhere in the menus on the WAP11. When you run the WAP11 site survey tool, does it show the WRT54G?

No. Any chance you have it set for 802.11g only? If so, the 802.11b only WAP11 will never connect.

Ebay. 142 items found. $50 to $60 for buy it now. Most sellers are beginning to list the hardware versions.

If you happen to talk to Linksys, be sure to thank them for killing the golden goose and shooting themselves in the foot.

Yes. You may have to do that anyway. The WAP11 will only bridge exactly one MAC address. That means you can connect exactly one computah to the WAP11 and have it cruise the internet. If you want more, you'll need to do it with what's called a "transparent bridge". Sometimes "game adapters" such as the WET11 will also bridge more than one MAC address. Good luck finding out which ones will do this from the manufacturers data sheets. Support usually doesn't know either.

Two WPA11's talking to each other in bridge mode (or point to multipoint mode) will bridge exactly 30 MAC addresses.

Want to buy my obsolescence insurance? For several hundred dollars, I'll insure that what you buy today will not be a doorstop tomorrow. Think of it as paying for your upgrades in advance.

Naw, methinks you've only made a simple mistake somewhere. The problem is that I can't tell what you've done, how you've done it, or what's wrong. Keep trying.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You might try this site it explains how to bridge a westell modem with a linksys wireless modem..

formatting link
Hope this helps Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Thanks for the reply, Jeff. Sorry I didn't supply any details. It seemed like I tried so many variations that it would take too long to recount. So let me go back and start over using your suggestion of the AP Client mode. I set that up on the WAP11, set the WRT54G to router mode connected to the cable modem. I can't find any Site Survey menu selection in the WAP11 browser interface. I am using the Linksys firmware for that v2.05. Is there some other firmware I should try? I DO see that on the wireless status packets are being sent and received. But none of the wired machines can get internet access.

Maybe it is some DHCP problem? My wired router is the DHCP server currently and on the WRT54G I have disabled it. Should the WRT54G be the DHCP server?

Thanks, Buck

Reply to
buck.turgidson

That should work. Start with no encryption.

There is none on the WAP11. I just checked. The similar DWL-900AP+ has a site survey tool. Bummer. You'll need to get the MAC address of the WRT54G from either the serial number label, or using Netstumbler. Don't forget to turn on the 802.11b compatibility mode on the WRT54G.

I have no idea because I don't know the hardware version of your WAP11. I also can't tell what country you're in. Firmware versions vary by country.

More than one machine? Reminder: The WAP11 running in client mode will only pass one MAC address. That means only one connected machine will be able to access the internet.

Dunno. I haven't seen any IP addresses disclosed, or the results of any ping tests.

Stop. Am I correct that you have two routers in series? That's generally a bad idea but can be made to work. Please note that you also haven't bothered to mention the nature of your broadband connection and the make and model of the hardware between the broadband connection and the WRT54G.

If you insist on running the DHCP server in your unspecified cable or DSL modem/router, then setup the WRT54G as an access point. That means:

1. Setup the IP address to something in the same class C IP block as the unspecified modem/router. If it's 192.168.1.1, then setup your WRT54G as 192.168.1.2.
  2. Turn OFF the DHCP server in the WRT54G.
  3. Do not plug anything into the WAN port.
  4. Connect a CAT5 cable between the unspecified modem/router and one of the WRT54G LAN ports. Check the lights on the front panel to make sure you have the proper polarity CAT5 cable.

That should allow the DHCP server to deliver an IP address through the WRT54G.

Reminder:

1. What are you trying to accomplish?
  2. What do you have to work with? (Hardware and software)
  3. What have you done so far and what happened?
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.