Question?

I run a small motel that's wireless enabled (linksys). Everything has been running fine for over a year.

I'm "Trying" to setup a directory for shared access (local info , Etc). I can't seenm to get this working either by sharing the directory nor by FTP access. would somebody throw out some ideas for me? BTW my wireless net is also behind Zonealarm. Tnx for any ideas, Dusty

Reply to
Dusty
Loading thread data ...

Well, I'll assume you are trying to share a Windoze XP Home machine and that this machine is connected via a CAT5 cable to the unspecified model Linksys wireless router. See:

formatting link
instructions on how to share a directory. One gotcha is if your Linksys router just happens to be a WRT54G and my assumption that you're connected via CAT5 is wrong and that you're really connected via wireless, there is a feature called "AP Isolation" that will prevent wireless clients from seeing each other. It's on the advanced wireless settings page.

For ftp servers, there are a variety available for Windoze XP. Just look in the usual utility web sites for ftp servers:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
etc.

Unfortunately, you didn't explain what you were really trying to accomplish and how you expect this to work for your visitors. Leaving a computer running just for file storage seems a bit overkill, noisy, maintenance intensive, and a potential security problem if everyone can trample each others files. You might want to look into NAS (Network Attached Storage) which is just a computer and a hard disk that sits on the network and plays data dumpster. One NAS device is the Linksys NSLU2 which uses a USB "thumb drive" for storage and make no noise.

formatting link
NAS devices offer user or group access with passwords.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.