Q. for the Radio Amateurs.

Since the FCC are proposing to remove the APC requirement for spread spectrum transmissions and limit the PEP to 10W is this going to create more or reduce interference on Wifi networks.

"§ 97.313 Transmitter power standards.

• * * * * (j) No station may transmit with a transmitter output exceeding 10 W PEP when the station is transmitting a SS emission type."
Reply to
Bob
Loading thread data ...

No change. The purpose of the NPR was to eliminate the unworkable automatic power control requirement for any spread spectrum transmissions on any band. Very few ham stations run high power on

2.4GHz. While it's theoretically possible to legally use someting that hits the 1KW power output limit, few hams do this. Hams have a mostly clear area from 2300-2400Mhz where 802.11 is not allowed.

Note that the NPR only affects spread spectrum usage, and has no effect on other modes such as CW, SSB, FM, ATV, repeaters, etc.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

But they do like to experiment High-Speed Digital Networks and Multimedia

and they do cover quite a few channels.

Reply to
Bob

The IEE802.18 Group disagreed in 2006 so will they disagree this time?

I did have difficulty finding the relevant RM as it seems to have been duplicated with an irrelevant document. The list of respondents at that time are listed here:-

Reply to
Bob

Mostly clear? When we only have 20MHz of the 100MHz range you cited? Amateur radio does NOT have 2310-2390.

Reply to
D. Stussy

Sorry. Typo error. I meant 2390-2400MHz is mostly ham radio. No wi-fi allowed in that range. Amateur radio has a secondary allocation, behind government use.

ARRL band plan for 2.3GHz:

Note that this band plan is now 19 years old.

Again, let me point out that the NPR (notice of proposed rule makeing) only affects spread spectrum amateur radio and does NOT affect any of the other amateur modes of operation.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You asked if it would have any effect on interference. You did NOT ask if I thought it was a good idea. I think removing automagic power control is a terrible idea. I also believe that it should be a requirement for all handshaking data modes, on any frequency, on any band, at any time, and without any excuses or exception because running too much power creates more interference than it improves communications. More bluntly, ham radio should encouraged to join the

21st century. What the ARRL is basically asking is for the FCC to endorse what I consider to be a stone age method of operation more suitable to weak signal and HF operation.

Again, there will probably be no effect as very few ham radio spread spectrum stations operate at >10watt power levels (even though commercial products are available):

Hmmmm.... 100 watts output. Be the first in your neighborhood to dominate the band.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.