Protocol for using others' network???

Given that I didn't write what you quote, I'm not surprised.:-)

Yes, lets. Lets read the Wardriving FAQ entry on legality and ethics: "What is certainly illegal is connecting to and using networks without the network owner's permission ". This section goes on later to also say, relevant to this discussion: "You don't always have to do anything deliberately to connect (illegally) to someone else's network. Some client adapters are more "promiscuous" than others and will hook up with any non-WEP AP that comes into range"

Lets be clear: there's nothing illegal about discovering the existence of wireless networks. This is akin to tuning in your radio to some random wavelength, and lo! finding a ham broadcasting there. But there is clear illegality about accessing to a computer network you're not authorised on.

Assuming you're replying to me, I'd like you to find where in my posts I've said the above.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre
Loading thread data ...

When you're through clutching at straws, the definition of fraud might be useful here: "intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value". You'll disagree no doubt, but in this instance you're masquerading as the legal user of the connection in order to gain bandwidth and by doing so you're defrauding the ISP.

Insufficient. A house with an open door is nevertheless not legally open to the public.

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. You are responsible for the actions of equpment in your control, whether you knew it was doing it or not. You might drive your truck down the street and crush an old ladie's poodle without knowing about it. You're still culpable.

(snip example of inadvertent network sharing)

*shrug*. That it happens doesn't make it legal.

No, new york state law is merely out of date. And if you read the rest of the article for comprehension, you'd see that the article itself concludes that its a crime in any events, due to a host of Federal statutes which view the matter otherwise. And in any events, authorisation doesn't mean keying in a password. Thats a computer-science meaning. Authorisation simply means being given permission by the owner. This could be written permission, oral permission, or whatever.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

[snip]

Bandwidth is something of value, at least to me. If this were not so, I would not have paid for it in the first place.

Jumping onto someone's internet service without their consent is a perversion of truth. The offender is claiming it is his/her option to use this service as the offender chooses, and that doing so is by no means offensive to the rightful owner.

Reply to
Gordon

if the intruder connects to your base station, gives their real name to websites, email servers, etc., then they haven't masqueraded as anyone but themeself.

if you aren't reselling internet access and your cable/dsl connection is flat rate (which virtually all are, at least in the usa), then what 'value' have you or the isp parted with? it is the same price whether they connected or not. and maybe they didn't even use the internet at all, but instead tried to see what fun stuff you had on your computer.

i don't see it as fraud. sorry. one can certainly claim unauthorized use or theft of services, however.

then i'd claim that the equippment should not be sold, since out of the box, it is doing something illegal. all the user did was plug it in.

perhaps it is, but it is still the law until it is changed.

Reply to
nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.