Promiscuous mode (yes) vs (yes/Backtrack) & R/SMA antenna

I'm trying to compare specs of USB wireless adapters.

formatting link
What does it mean when I see a spec that says

- Promiscious mode = Yes versus

- Promiscious mode = Yes (Backtrack)

If I'm on WinXP, can I still set either one into promiscious mode?

Also what does it mean when I see

- Antenna Connector: Only Edimax EW-7318 USg (R/SMA) versus Antenna Connector: Yes (R/SMA)

Can I put a normal antenna on either one?

Reply to
Sharon
Loading thread data ...

Most of those specifications were contributed by users. Where it mentions a software package, such as Backtrack, it usually means that the contributor has tested it using that package. In this case Backtrack is:

a Linux distribution made for wireless hacking.

Probably not. Very very very few cards work in promiscuous mode under Windoze. You will need a customized driver to do the trick.

Some manufacturers have two versions of their PCMCIA and USB devices. One is with an external antenna connector (usually a reverse SMA connector) and one with an internal antenna.

What is a normal antenna? In general, if you have a proper 2.4GHz antenna, with the matching antenna connector, you can plug it in and it will work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks Jeff,

I much appreciate the sage advice on promiscious mode and the clarification of what backtrack was and on the antenna specs.

I did buy the Hawking HWUG1 because that's all I found at Fry's. And I picked up a 10db omni antenna. I'm going to try to set the Hawking HWUG1 wireless NIC into promiscuous mode but it's sheer hell to set up with WPA2-PSK AES mostly because even Windows XP Home Wireless Zero Configuration has problems with WPA2-PSK.

I'm online with Hawking 888-202-3344 techsupport right now and I'll explain the problem with Windows separately.

Sharon

Reply to
Sharon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.