Problems with wireless network card

A few days ago, I purchased and installed a new Netgear router (WNDR3300) to replace my old Netgear router (MR814v2). I copied down all the settings from my old router and used them to configure my new router. I have 4 desktops that are wired to the new router and a TiVo connected wirelessly to the new router. All are working fine.

However, my laptop, which has a Linksys WPC11v3 wireless network card, can't seem to connect at all. On the laptop, when I go to view the wireless networks, I can see my router/SSID listed there. It is even showing as having a very strong signal. I select it, click on the connect button and enter my WEP key (even though I had already set it in the properties of that connection) but it never seems to actually connect to the router. It'll just sit there trying and then finally time out. I know the problem isn't that I've set the WEP key incorrectly in my router configuration because my TiVo is connecting just fine using the same old key.

Although I'm sure the problem isn't the WEP key, I removed the it and set my router to allow unsecured connections just to verify whether or not the issue was the key. When trying to connect unsecured, though the card could see the router/SSID as before, it still couldn't actually complete the connection.

I've searched Google to see if there might be some known issue between the WPC11v3 card and the WNDR3300 router, but came up with nothing. Does anyone know if there is, in fact, an issue between these two? Or does anyone have some suggestions as to what more I can try to get these two together? I'm very confused as to why/how the card can see the router/SSID, report that the signal strength is high but not be able to actually connect regardless of whether trying with the proper WEP key or trying unsecured.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thnx, Christoph

Reply to
Sorrow
Loading thread data ...

"Sorrow" hath wroth:

WEP Encryption has problems. Use the Hex key (26 characters) instead of the ASCII equivalent and it will work. Different manufacturers have different creative ideas of how to convert from ASCII to Hex.

However, you should not be using WEP. It's not very secure and is easily cracked. Use WPA or WPA2 instead, with a long pass phrase.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I am using a 26 character hex key. At least, as far as I know. On my router, I selected a 128bit encryption, entered my phrase and told it to generate the key. Out came a 26 character key.

AFAIK, neither my TiVo nor my WPC11v3 (when it was working) could use WPA. In fact, I don't even see that as a setting option when I go into the properties of the wireless connection.

thnx, Christoph

Reply to
Christoph Boget

formatting link

Reply to
John Stubbings

If it's 13 characters long, it's ASCII. If it's 26 characters long, it's Hex. If you're really using the Hex key, it *SHOULD* work. All I can think of is a typing error.

True. A quick check of the WPC11v3 data sheet shows WEP only. Bummer. There a driver update that adds WPA encryption.

For XP only. Incidentally, that's one reason that I like Linksys. They update drivers for security fixes on products they no longer sell.

On which? The Tivo or the WPC11v3?

I don't know anything about your unspecified model Tivo box or unspecified wireless card. There may also be WPA updates available. Check the Tivo groups.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I already tried updating my driver to ensure I had the most recent thinking that might be a cause. I was told by windows that a more up to date version could not be found. :(

thnx, Christoph

Reply to
Christoph Boget

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.