Problems with network

We just moved our internet service from Earthlink DSL to SBC DSL. The new DSL modem (a Netopia router with 4 ports) is up and running and plugged into our existing 8-port Linksys Router.

Everything connected to the Linksys router works as it should. That is, the computer with a shared folder is accessible by the other 3 computers that are also plugged into the Linksys router. Also, these 4 computers can all access the printer that is plugged into the Linksys.

Now, the problem I have is, if I disconnect one of the computers from the Linksys and plug it into one of the Netopia DSL Modem's ports, this computer can no longer see anything on the Linksys router (i.e. it can't see the shared folder, nor the printer).

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this computer to see the others. If you can even tell me what I need to be doing I can do some further research from there and come back with additional questions.

By the way, the modem is set up with a static IP address for internet access. And, all computers can access the internet regardless of which device they are plugged into.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
goofything2
Loading thread data ...

From the frying pan and into the fire. Welcome to PacHell.

Could I trouble you to disclose the model numbers of the Netopia and Linksys routers?

Did you get the 5 static or "sticky" IP service from SBC? They only bundle the Netopia router with that service. If so, things are not so simple.

OK, so everything works as expected on the LAN side of the Linksys router. So far, so good.

That's normal and to be expected. You can't go backwards through a router with Windoze networking. (Well, actually you can, but you don't want to do that). Just get another switch, connect it to the LAN port on the Linksys, and you have your expanded LAN.

My *GUESS*, assuming that you have a 5 static or "sticky" IP service from SBC, is that the Netopia is a Netopia/Caymen 3546. Although officially a router (and it can be used as an NAT router), it's delivered by SBC configured as a DSL bridge. The 4 ports on the 3546 would normally connected to multiple servers, routers, or possibly desktops. Each would be manually assigned one of the 5 static IP's. See:

formatting link
clues at to how I do it.

The Netopia 3546 has a built in DSL modem, so I guess you have some other device. Also, DSL modems do not have routeable IP addresses. They do have management IP addresses used to configure them. Just what equipment do you have and how do you have it configured?

Why do you want to network a machine with a routeable IP address (connected to the Netopia bridge), with a bunch of machines on the LAN (connected to the Linksys router)? What are you trying to accomplish by doing this? Is the first machine a server and you're trying to "manage" the server? If that's the case, then you need to treat the server exactly the way you treat a server that's been colocated in some remote server farm. Use VNC, Remote Desktop, PcAnywhere, SSH2, and such to manage it, not Windoze networking.

Generic Rant: All we need to answer a question is:

1. What are you trying to accomplish?
  2. What do you have to work with? (Numbers, not prose).
  3. Where are you stuck? (What have you tried?)
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.