Problems with logging into public WiFi

For the mostpart logging into a hotel's WiFi network is a simple affair and it frequently just automatically connects as soon as firing up my laptop. Sometimes I have to find any available networks and request a connection. No problem!

Occasionally, a public network can be found, but the computer is unable to make a connection. This sometimes happens when a password is required to access a hotel's network. Usually after requesting a connection, I fire up the browser and the hotel's screen appears where I can enter whatever it is that is needed and everything is fine.

I am just curious as to what I can do when I can not ever get to the required logon screen. Hotel staff is never is of any help. They just say that it works for everyone else.

We had been traveling for about a month, staying one or two nights at different hotels. WiFi worked flawlessly except for two locations.

Could it have someting to do with my internet security program (Norton)? I dare not disable it to even try.

I am using Avanquest connection manager. I would imagine that if the hotel claims their WiFi does work, it probably does. So, it must have something to do with my computer.

Reply to
Bob
Loading thread data ...

maybe you should have tried the Windows connection manager.

Reply to
Tom E

1. Reboot your laptop. Most laptops go to "sleep" mode when the lid is closed. The laptop thinks you're still at your old location:
  2. Check if you have a valid IP address: start -> run -> cmd ipconfig If it says 169.254.xxx.xxx, DHCP didn't work. Try: ipconfig /release (wait about 10 seconds) ipconfig /renew
  3. If your Avanquest connection manager has a saved profile for this particular hot spot, delete it and start over from scratch. This is a common problem if there is a WEP/WPA encryption password that has changed.
  4. If you have a pop-up blocker running, disable it as some sign on screens use pop-ups.
  5. Temporarily disarm any personal firewalls, internet security features, VPN clients, URL/DNS redirectors, evil site filters, or any other program that might be blocking internet access.
  6. Try a different web browser (Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, etc).
  7. Try to determine if they're doing their own wi-fi access or going via a service such as T-mobile, Wayport, AT&T, etc. You might get some help from these vendors.
  8. Many hot spots try to limit the range of their wi-fi system by drastically reducing the xmit power of their access points. If you suspect that this is the problem, try moving closer to the access point.

Anything in common with the two locations? Previous visits? Same IP address?

Yes, very likely. Norton 360 and Norton Internet Security have a feature designed to recognize that you're on a new network and asks you whether it's secure or not (trusted, or not). The problem is that it recognizes these networks by IP address range. So, if you go to some network at 192.168.1.xxx, and proclaim it be untrustworthy, every time you go to a different wi-fi hotspot with the same IP address range, it will also treat it as untrustworthy.

How to disable/enable Norton....

I couldn't find anything on how to clear out old network entries.

Here's Symantec's alarmist view of wi-fi at public hot spots.

I agree. It's your computah. I don't have enough info (make, model, OS, software installed, etc) to nail it, but I think you're on the right track.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.