problems with DLINK in Repeater mode

Hello, I set up DLINK's DWP-700AP as a repeater, but still can't connect to external wireless network (isn't visible through Windows) though stats on the device show that it sends and receives some packets. Didn't anyone experience such problems with this brand, maybe it's not compatible with other devices (the external AP is of different brand). Maybe it supports some other DLINK's firmware flashing? Thanks.

zqna

Reply to
zqna
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for your answer!

Here is my summary of a day. Upgraded firmware for d-link, now NetStumbler shows both APs - originator and repeater. I can connect to both of them, except that the repeater loooks like can't communicate with originator. DHCP doesn't work, manually assigned IPs also. After getting some advices and googling read d-link information about their APs in repeating mode, it looks like they don't support much of different brand, so these artists blame they make repeaters of their own APs. As I understand all the brands they work in their own preferred way. Looks like no standards...

zqna

Reply to
zqna

I have several D-Link DWL-7100AP's (Tri-Mode: 802.11a/g/b) that I use as both an originating AP and repeaters. Spent quite a bit of time with them, experimenting with various "particulars" that aren't documented.

Anyway, might be able to help.

I assume you meant D-Link DWL-700AP (802.11b).

My situation with the DWL-7100AP's running as repeaters may be a little different, as they can only repeat off of other D-Link AP's (or routers) capable of WDS (Wireless Distribution System). I had originally planned to repeat an 802.11a SSID coming off an older, but still reliable, (non-WDS) DI-764 router. Quickly discovered that wasn't going to work, so just plugged one DWL-7100AP into the router as an additional AP while using the other DWL-7100APs to repeat off it. (Anyone interested in some of the "particulars" with this: using the newest firmware on then, they can only repeat one SSID while having the other SSID in AP or client modes. With the firmware just prior, both SSIDs are repeatable, however you can't use WPA. You can only use WEP.)

From reading the D-Link Knowledge Base, it seems that the DWL-700AP isn't WDS -- so that shouldn't be an issue. It "should" work with any 802.11b source, even if it isn't D-Link.

Were you able to get the DWL-700AP to repeat the originating AP? I.e., you went into the DWL-700AP's config, set the mode to "Repeater", did a "Site Survey", the SSID/MAC address of the originating AP appear, you selected it, and then it seemed to take hold? If so, you should see some "unison" between the 802.11b activity lights on both the originating AP and the repeating AP as even with no "network activity". With my DWL-7100AP's, the originating AP and repeaters' leds all slowly blink together in unison -- when there is no "network activity". Yours may look different though, as this is probably related to WDS. (Don't want to get you on the wrong track here.) Either way, when there is actual "network activity", you can see by the leds that there is no question that data is going into the repeater and making it's way to the originating AP. (I'm quoting "network activity" to mean data traffic of computers going through them as there is always data being passed between them, even with no "network activity" to keep them in sync.) If this is occuring, then it probably is working just fine -- which leads to next question:

I'm not really sure what you mean by "isn't visible through Windows". What client software are you using on the computer? Are you using the built-in WinXP SSID locater utility or a third party's? If you are using the built-in Microsoft SSID utility, then its worth noting that WinXP's built-in SSID utility is only capable of displaying one SSID (of the same name) at a time. Since the originating AP and repeater are both using the same SSID name, only one will be viewable with WinXP's utility. Is this the problem you are having? If so, just install the third party wireless utility for whatever wireless hardware your computer is using. This will show everything in the air and work much better than WinXP's built-in utility.

Hope that is somewhat helpful. I didn't really understand your questions. (?)

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric

Ah, that sucks. I was hoping it would've been just something simple for you to get it working. Guess not.

Yeah, repeating can definetly be hit or miss. Hell, often hardware from the same manufacturers don't even like to play together. I know I put a lot of effort in trying to get that first DWL-7100AP to repeat a DI-764. Ended up just getting several DWL-7100APs, which had better work together! :^)

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.