Problems with DHCP IP Addresses conflct

Hi there:

here's my setup which worked fine for the first 4 months and now not sure what changed but things have gone a bit awry!

My ADSL Router (D-LINK DSL 300G) is connected to my Linksys (WRT54G) wireless router. I have then got a cable that runs from this wireless router to a BEFSR41 Linkysys router (my work gave me this, and insisted that I use this, and not the wireless router for my connection)

I have 2 laptops and two desktop computers. One desktop computer is connected directly to the wireless router, while the other is connected to the BEFSR41 router.

The problem is that I am using the "automatic DHCP" setup on my wireless networks. And the computers end up fighting for the same IP address. Also for some reason each time I close the lid on my laptop, and open it again, it loses the nwtwork connection and I have to disable and re-enable the wireless connection for it to work again (even thought it constantly tell me that everything is fine, and the connection is 'excellent'). If I try assigning fixed IP addresses on each laptop, they continue to have an 'excellent connection' but I cannot browse the internet or do a ipconfig....

I am running windows xp on both desktops and on one laptop. the other is a Mac OSX Tiger.

I am really frustrated and hope I have provided all the details necessary for someone to come to my rescue!

Thanks,

Jessica.

Reply to
missisjess
Loading thread data ...

Make sure only one router has the dhcp server enabled.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

you only need 1 router not 3.

1 adsl router + wireless access point is all you need,

get rid of at least one router and make sure dhcp is only running on one as the other poster said,

Reply to
sam1967

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1119804216.125626.285260 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

To simplify it, the D-Link should have DHCP enabled and should be the gateway device.

This WRT54G should be converted to wire/WAP switch and the SR41 also converted into a switch with both using the D-Link as the DHCP server and all machines connected to either of the devices obtaining an IP from the DHCP server on the D-Link or using an static IP on the D-link.

formatting link
The principles of connection of connecting routers together in the above solutions are the same no matter if wired or wireless routers or what brand names they are. You'll just substitute the D-link when pointing to the gateway device.

The routers have a built-in switch.

formatting link
If you do what's in the link to configure the other routers, your IP conflicts will go away.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.