Problems with Bellsouth DSL and Wireless Networking

I just switched from Comcast to Bellsouth DSL. I am using a 802.11g Netgear wireless router. Every thing worked fine with comcast but now with Bellsouth, I stop getting a wireless signal every few hours. If i directly connect the Belsouth router to the desktop/laptop using ethernet cable then every thing is fine but as soon as i rewire every thing through the wireless router, I can only surf for few hours and then i stop getting a connection. some times, i lose the connection after few minutes, some times, i lose it after three/four hours.

i was with bellsouth tech support twice and they had me reboot every thing and got the wireless working but of course, after few hours, i lost the connection again. it is very frustrating to go reset the routers ever few hours. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
IKhan11
Loading thread data ...

I have been having a similar problem with Brighthouse cable. It seems that the router and the card in the computer lose track of each other. I have had luck just unplugging the router and plugging it back in again. Takes about 10 seconds and works most of the time. Obviously don't know if this is your problem, but you might want to see if it takes care of it.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Reply to
IKhan11

You did not say whether the modem and router where provided by Bellsouth or whom. Where you using the same router equipment when on Comcast and now everything is the same except you have a different modem. We need more info.

Danny,

Reply to
Danny Kile

i am using the modem provided by Bellsouth. The router is Netgear - the same one being used previously with Comcast. Yesterday I purchased a new wireless router (Ativa Brand)thinking that may be netgear is not compatible with Bellsouth DSL. Unfortunately, the same problem persists. Initially after setting up the new wireless router through bellsouth modem, all was well but about 10 minutes later, no internet connection. any help will be much appreciated. thanks.

Danny Kile wrote:

Reply to
IKhan11

Still not quite sure, you say you can not surf. Need to know if you are just loosing the ability to get on the Internet or if you have lost the wireless connection to the router. While the connection is working right click on the wireless connection icon and then click status, then click the support tab and then detail. Write down the IP address of the default gateway will be something like 192.168.1.1 or whatever. The next time the connection quits, try pinging the routers IP address. To ping go to start click on run and type cmd and hit enter. Then in the command window type in ping 192.168.1.1 or whatever your IP address was. If you can still ping your router but not get on the Internet then try to ping google.com by its IP address ping 64.233.167.99 and see what that does.

I do no know if you are using security on the router are not something like WEP or WPA, you may want to try to turn off security for the test and see how that goes, you can always turn it back on later.

Danny,

Reply to
Danny Kile

Thanks for your help Danny. I will try this when I get home tonight. I do not have any security turned on on the router. When I say, that I can not surf, what i mean is that there is no internet connection at all. The desktop which is connected to the wireless router via ethernet cable loses its connection also. the laptop finds the wireless router when i "Search for available networks" with full strength but when i select "connect", the connection is never established and i eventually get "can not connect" message on the laptop. hopefully, this clarifies the problem. again, thanks.

Danny Kile wrote:

Reply to
gtd068a

Well, I was thinking that this was a wireless laptop problem however it is more than that, if you can not connect with the Desktop PC either. Some more Info. What is the model of the Bellsouth modem, the Netgear route is what model. The modem is it setup as PPPOE or bridged? Only one unit should be doing the PPPOE, if the modem is Bridged then the router should be PPPOE, and if the modem is PPPOE then the router should not be.

I prefer something like this:

Modem set for PPPOE, the LAN port would most likely be 192.168.1.254 that is what Bellsouth like to use. Then I would set the WAN port of the router to a static address of 192.168.1.1, the LAN port of the router to

192.168.2.1 and the DHCP of the router to pass out IP addresses in the range of 192.168.2.100 for 50 addresses making the address range 192.168.2.100 through 192.168.149.

We really need to do some ping test when this goes down to see where this is dieing. Working with the Desktop so that we do not have to deal with wireless issues at this time. Lets get this working constantly first then deal with wireless.

When it goes down try ping the IP address of the LAN port of the router, if that work try the WAN port of the router, working you way up stream. If that work next try the LAN port of the modem and if that work then try pinging bellsouth.net. Lets find out where it quits.

Danny,

Reply to
Danny Kile

Reply to
gtd068a

Well, all is well that end well.

Your quite welcome!

Danny,

Reply to
Danny Kile

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.