Problems with a new laptop

Hi all,

Hope you can help me with a little problem.

I have a private wireless network, which has been working without major problems a couple of years.

All of my units are able to access the network, which is controlled by a Topcom Skyracer (Cheap crap, but it works). My units are a PDA, a laptop and a stationary.

Just changed job and got an extra laptop, and this one can't access the network. It's a Thinkpad from IBM. I can see the network, but after entering the encryption key (= WEP 64 bit HEX), nothing else happens for a while, until the display with available networks appears again, without the unit being logged on.

There are no messages on the router or the laptop (as usual).

The strange thing is, that the same laptop is able to gain access to my neighbours network, and the one at my new job.

Tried almost all parameters on the router and laptop I can think of. Tried disabling firewall etc. on the laptop, but no results.

Anyone got any pointers ?

Regards Niels

Reply to
NSM
Loading thread data ...

I vaguely recall that the "ThinkVantage" package had some preconfiguration that doesn't like WEP-64 in particular. I noticed that it would show a very low signal in one screen, but when I did connect it showed very good signal. Mine is a T60p.

There are two different icons in my systray. The icon with a PC and the WiFi "radiation" as an icon is for my AR5211 built in WiFi, where Windows is _not_ configured to manage the WiFi. The other icon is a PC above a cable, more of a generic network icon. That is ThinkVantage.

Reply to
dold

is it set to Shared and can you manually select (set) the channel.

Reply to
Fergus

On 3 May 2007 11:54:54 -0700, NSM wrote in :

Probable WEP key mismatch. Re-enter _all_ WEP keys in hex (not characters).

Reply to
John Navas

kjul tekst i anf=F8rselstegn -

Tried to disable the WEP altogether, and restarted the router. The wireless appeared on my laptop without encryption, but same result when trying to log on.

Niels

Reply to
NSM

tekst i anf=F8rselstegn -

I can manually set the channel on the router, but as far as I can see not one the driver/laptop (managed by windows).

If it was a channel problem, I wouldn't be able to see the network though, or ... ?

Sorry for late reply ..

Niels

Reply to
NSM

You didn't say, but does one do B and other stuff G? I had an old wap/router that only did B, and when I got a new laptop that only did "G" I had to upgrade.. (actually I found out later I could have set it to B and G, rather than G only, but by then I already had a new wap)

Reply to
Peter Pan

I just added a laptop to a relatives wireless network. I set up this network a long time ago, and I can't remember the reason, but I set it up to only allow access from specific MAC addresses (MAC filtering). At power-up you can see the network on any laptop, and since it shows up as "unsecure" you'd think that you should be able to connect, but only the specific MAC addresses that I configured can access it. Are you sure you didn't do MAC filtering when you set up the router?

Reply to
SMS

Good one. MAC filtering is one of the first to check And of course turn off security as you did.

On the client end, first thing for me (after radio on) is: Who's managing the connection? Windows Zero Config or the Client's included softare (IBM, Toshiba, Belkin....)

I check by going to "view availible networks" (taskbar pc icon>rt- click) and checking. If instead of showing availible networks, it says "you have another program configured to do this" , then I know that Windows Zero is disabled.

Whichever has got control, switch-over from the Thinkpad Access Connections to Windows Zero or vice-versa. Reboot generously. If no good, then reinstall driver and/or different versions and try again.

This confusion between Windows Zero Config vs Access Connections or Toshiba.... or ...has been a problem for me with various computers. Right now, my Thinkpad R-51 XP is not accepting that I uninstalled Thinkpad Access Connections and want to startup with Windows Zero. Somehow it still thinks Access has the ball and won't start up with Windows Zero Config. I have to go to services.msc to turn on the service and then it works. I think it finally took today, after toggling settings for a week.

I've also seen it where I had two pcmcia adapters and the included software's settings for one (use WZC or not) got stuck on the other, even after the first was uninstalled. I had re-install my Belkin, change it back to "Use Windows to manage" before the Orinoco would work. This happened on two different pcs, different cards.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Hi all,

I've tried most of the suggestion:

Disabled security Checked that MAC filtering is disabled Checked almost all settings on the laptop and router Even tried disabling thee wireless protocols one after the other on the laptop

I havent got other connection software than windows built-in. Laptop was configured when I got it, so the software controlling the connections is normal windows.

Strange thing is that the laptop doesnt have problems connecting to my neighbours network. Thinking about getting an USB dongle instead ..

Reply to
NSM

USB dongle would be a good elimination test.

Also, is it possible it's a DHCP issue? Is your router set up for DHCP?

You might go ahead and do an "IP config/all" for both a working pc on your router and the non-working one. This could help eliminate some issues.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

That's funny, somebody already stripped out the Thinkpad Access connections. Hmm. Is there no Thinkpad menu anywhere? No Access connections?

Be sure and show that ipconfig/all (Start>run>cmd) as mentioned for a working home connection and for the laptop in question. A possibility is that your laptop has an assigned IP that works for the subnet at work but not at home.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Are you sure you wouldn't rather try a different router?

Reply to
SMS

Maybe do an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew.

Reply to
SMS

ide quoted text -

Sorry,

Tried all of the above. Funny thing is, that the laptop works fine when connected with normal cable. Maybe i'll just paint the router green, and throw it in the harbour, so nobody ever finds it again :-)

Niels

Reply to
NSM

Hide quoted text -

OK all,

Tried as a last effort, before finding the bucket of paint.

Borrowed an USB dongle from my daughter (big protest :-), and got success in the first try.

This message is actually from my laptop, connected with the wireless dongle.

Conclusion must be that something in the wireless driver for the Thinkpad is incompatible with the router ..

Thanks for all of your help everyone :-)

Niels

Reply to
NSM

On May 14, 12:24 pm, NSM wrote: Funny thing is, that the laptop works fine

Since you never posted the IPconfig/all info, this is a guess.

Everything you said would be true if:

1) your laptop has a fixed IP address set for the thinkpad radio instead of obtaining one automatically. 2) your topracer is on a different subnet than typical routers.

Using the USB or ethernet would be a different connection with different properties and by default being automatic.

So, before you give up on the thinkpad radio, go to it's connection properties>TCP-IP properties and confirm that it gets it's address automatically.

And if it was me, if that wasn't it, I would install Thinkpad's Access connections and see if that made a difference, but then, I really like having built-in wireless.

Reply to
seaweedsteve

On 11 May 2007 06:30:51 -0700, NSM wrote in :

Hard reset wireless router to factory defaults and start over without any security until you get it working.

Reply to
John Navas

On 11 May 2007 06:32:34 -0700, NSM wrote in :

Channel can only be set on the host, not the client. The client selects the host channel automatically.

Reply to
John Navas

On 14 May 2007 10:47:18 -0700, NSM wrote in :

Very unlikely. Something else is going on.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.